Runners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

As the thread title suggests, I'm pretty much a beginner to running - I've started out running a mile ish every couple of days, occasionally increasing the distance, I've been doing this for approx. 3 weeks.

On one of my first runs I noticed my heart rate exceeded 200 despite feeling as though I'd not gone particularly fast (10 min mile), so I have since slowed down, but it still gets up to 190 ish. What I guess I want to know is, is this to be expected given my lack of fitness? The recovery is pretty strong, it seems to come down by 40-50bpm within a couple of minutes, but 190 seems extreme.

I'm 30, my HRV is very low for my age (32 approx.) as is my vo2 max (34 approx.) - which suggests my fitness is an issue, I also suffer with asthma. Looking back on my Apple watch, my heart rate tends to average at around 175, but as I say can get up to the 190-200 range.

I'm yet to see any improvement in my heart rate during runs, I'm really enjoying running but I want to gauge whether sticking with it is sensible and likely to result in improvement as opposed to causing health issues.

Any advice/opinions would be gratefully received!

James

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Ultimate Beginner’s Guide: There are many reasons for why running is enjoyed in the millions across the world. If you’re training for the race or running miles to enjoy yourself running is beneficial for...
READ MORE

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello James!

I think that everything related to health issues is for the doctor's ears. You said that you suffer with asthma - this is a reason to think about your workouts. It's great that you enhoy running but be careful!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts