Runners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As i have stated in previous posts I use to compete in bodybuilding/powerliftin therefor diet and training was imperative to me. Now I am training to be a RAF PTI i have started running and changing my weight training schdule around. Now I have adopted a pretty similar diet to what I use to have when bodybuilding but not as hardcore or protein packed. My main focus is to lose some of the fat/weight i am carrying. My regime is as follows and would like to see your opinions:-

0800 - 30g Whey Isolate Protein with 100g Ultra Fine Scottish Oats & tbsp peanut butter (as 1 shake)
0900 - Run as far as possible really - Street running
0930 (Post Run) - 34g Liquid Carb Matrix
1030 - 1 Small Baked Potato with tin of tuna
1330 - chicken/tuna/turkey with salad and 50g cous cous
1630 - Protein shake
1800 - Weight Train or Bodyweight Excersises i.e press ups, sit ups
1900 - 1930 - turkey/pork/chicken/fish with loads of veg (NO CARBS)
2200 - cottage cheese
2230 - sleep

Thats my day really! Mon, Tues and Thurs I work 10.30 - 16.30 doing labour work and Wed and Fri I work 9.00 - 16.00 teaching PE at a private school. Sat and Sun I do not work. I train Mon, Tue, Thur, Sat, Sun

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Hi
i think you have it pretty nailed on!!! Think you will lose weight without compromising too much muscle with that diet. Hard to stick to tho but good luck :)

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
A typical geriatric runner's diet.

07.00 Muesli/banana/milk; slice of brown toast/butter/marmalade; two cups tea.
09.30 Run, 5 - 11 miles (weather permitting); followed by Saigon squat; glass isotonic.
11.00 Cup of strong Italian coffee.
12.30 French stick/butter/salami/soft cheese; mug of tea. (Sometimes fish & chips if down town).
15.00 Apple
17.30 50 sit-ups (when I can be bothered).
18.00 Glass of Sherry/cheese & chive dips/raw carrot/celery; Beef/potatoes or chips/loads of vegetables; various sweets; At weekends ½ bottle red wine.
21.00 Mug drinking chocolate.
21.30 Away to bed.

Morning; 1,000 mg Glucosamine.
Evening; 500 mg Cod Liver Oil & 500 mg Evening Primrose Oil (in one capsule from Boots); 60 mg Co-enzyme Q 10
Weight: 9st 12lbs
BMI: 21.5

PS. I'd a far more spartan diet from that of David Carrick's when I was in the R.A.F!

·
Registered
187 Posts
David

I've been running for a year but also weight training twice a week as well. Has been on and off for a few years. I have noticed a difference in size, getting bigger while getting leaner. I'd be interested to hear a diet for a bodybuilder. I don't want to pack on heaps, just the basics.

Cheers

Gary

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Do you mean weight training, or body building? I reckon any normal healthy diet is adequate for repetitive low weight training schedules. Body builders eat all sorts of quirky stuff: have a look at; Healthy Recipes One bodybuilder I knew appeared to live mainly on a diet of chicken and Vitamin B. He had an incredible body, won competitions with it, but was never very fit and always had a bad back!
Personally, I've never seen the point of body building, always regarded it as a vanity thing. I'm quite happy with the body God gave me and treat it with respect. It's not what your body looks like that's important, but what it's capable of doing, whether it's in a fit state to accomplish the things you want it to do.
Cheers!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi

No, not so much bodybuilding but weight training.

Don't want to get huge, just lean and defined. I have cut out a lot of crap so far this year so that has probably helped. Just looking for tips on a basic diet for building muscle while training.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers

Gary

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Sorry, thought you said you wanted a diet for a bodybuilder. Dunno about a weight training diet. Occasionally, in winter, I do a little weight training for upper body strength but basically I eat whatever I jolly well like knowing my running will burn off any extra calories (see my previous posting in this thread). I try to avoid quick carbs like sweets, chocolate, cakes and biscuits. You could have a look at: A Diet Plan Just For Runner's From Runner's World.com but it's a healthy runners diet as opposed to a weight training diet. Can't help further other than suggesting a Weight Training Forum or website.
Cheers!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
i also agree that you shouldnt worry about diet when it comes to running but since you asked i think for long distance running you should eat more carbs and much less protein... there no point eating so much protein - you'll be pissing out the excess so there's no point...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All very well and good revenged however if you had trained for as long as hard as i have to build the size and mass I have you would want to conserve the muscle you have to. With the bodyweight excersies I am running daily this will prevent los in muscle tissue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts