Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am in the royal marine reserves and i train at home. I have 6 months to achieve the following goals:

- 4miles in 35minutes with 31lbs (10lbs rifle, 21lbs webbing) - in boots.

- the BFT in boots.
1.5miles in 15minutes downhill, followed by 1.5miles in under 9minutes uphill.

- Firemans carry, 200m sprint with another person on back
(+their and your webbing and rifle, so well over 200lbs)

Those Are my goals.

My current training is a couple 4mile runs a week, an interval session and a 3mile run with 21lbs. I do 4miles in trainers in 30minutes. I do 1.5miles in boots in 10minutes.

I am 18 years old, weigh about 70kg.

Hope that helps.

I am looking for some advice as to how i should train to achieve these goals and what a weekly/monthly training schedule should look like?

Thank you very much in advance.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hi

Go to your local Armed Forces Careers Office they have a pam designed purely to get people up to the level of fitness required for phase 1 and 2.

As a reservist you should have a PTI in your unit or at the very least at Company (?) level who is there to assist with pys training. I assume that the standards you are looking to achieve are the entry tests ?

OB

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks but i am not going for the entry requirements, i reached those requirements 6months ago.

At the moment i am 6 months into training which lasts 18 months, I need to reach this stage comming up in 6 months.

It is often hard to get the chance to speak to the PTI, and it seems all PTI's have conflicting views on the best way to train, so i am comming here for a bit of advice.

Any ideas?

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
It sounds like you're fairly switched on and know where you're going with your training...

are these targets you've simply set for yourself, or targets you're expected to reach based on the training you're currently undertaking? The 9mins for 1.5 miles uphill in boots seems like an incredibly tough challenge and notably harder than the rest of the challenges in my opinion! What sort of incline will you be expected to run up for the 1.5 miles?

Your weight is fine (10kg lighter than me you sod :p) and the only thing I can see that's missing from your training is hill repeats. Find yourself a steep(ish) hill, run up it hard, jog down to recover, and repeat. Try to maintain the same pace on each effort, and build up the number of reps or the length of each rep from week to week. :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Ok Just my advice (please remember that i am merely a civvie, im not a pti and my reccomendations are based on a long time ago).

Start easy (well easier than the rest) Firemans carry dont worry about it adreline well pull you through just dont drop him !

BFT in boots (i thought that had been banned) Can you do it in any boot of do they have to be issue ? magnums are good for running in pants for anything else but good for running in. I suggest you wear your boots all day every day so you get used to the weight, however i dont recccomed running in them.

Hill work may be your key i sed to spend 3 hours a week running up and down a footbridge because i coudnt find a hill near me.

It may be worth loading a burgen up with weight and going for fast tabs around some hills again i woudnt sugest running with large weight as it can cause problems. But the 4 miles in 35 mins shouldnt be to hard for you get to the front and generally the people behind keep you going.

Lastly watch your diet and try to cross train to avoid injury swimming or cycling may benefit you.

Good luck Royal.

OB

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey dude im also training for the Royal MArines im currently 18 and at college and if u have read my post on the 1.5 mile run i did 8:55 with all the gear, which im pretty chuffed with.

I went to lympstone for a week earleir this year with my college and they absoluataly beasted us and they told us to train 1 mile further than the tests with 5-10 extra pounds so when you do te tetst it seems soo much easier, i tend to trrain 3-4 times a week and i seem 2 b ok, im also 70kg.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts