Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the running but have come on leaps and bounds in the last few weeks. I've just completed a 2.4 mile run non-stop and (here's the best part) at the end I felt like I could have done another half mile or so!!

This is a major achievement for me. On January 4th 2008 when I started this running lark seriously I could manage about a quarter of a mile before I had to stop.. then another quarter of a mile etc etc...

The trouble is that now I'm running further non-stop a couple of other issues have presented themselves...

Firstly, I'm getting blisters in the arch of my feet. I'm visiting a running shop in Edinburgh tomorrow (kindly supplied the info by Granty) and hoping to get this one sorted out.

Secondly (and excuse me if the image of this puts you off yer lunch) my crotch is sweating as I run and feels uncomfortable as the top of my legs rub together and my boxers and shorts get kind of tangled up. (Don't really know how better to describe it?)

I tried putting some talcum powder on the top inside of my thighs before I went out today and I think it helped a little bit but not much.

Anyone any suggestions on a solution to this? Are there specific "running grundies" that will support the Old General and also absorb sweat and prevent chafing from the top of your legs??

Again... sorry if this post has conjured up some nightmarish images... but I had to ask :embarrassed:

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
LOL - fantastic post and very delicately put !! :eek:

I've never run in Boxers, like the have some 'support' on the way around. Would suggest that you try some slightly tighter under garments that don't flap around. I did suffer with chaffing in a similiar area and I found that a liberal coating of Vaseline seemed to do the trick.

Look forward to hearing how you get on.! :p

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Granty... once again you step into the breech!

Thanks for the advice. Will give vaseline a try.

I have got some tighter boxers but they still seem to 'ride up'...

Maybe I should invent some kind of "air conditioned bio-sphere boxers" specially for runners??

:d

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Running shorts with built in mesh support,with copious amounts of Vaseline.

The only problem this creates for me is that in the cold weather the Old General can suffer a bit.

Anyone got any ideas how I can solve this problem.............?

Auntie Granty must have an answer.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
heheh, interesting read! That's the one area I've tended to suffer with chaffing, though not so much nowadays.

I've found that some talc on my delicates and surrounding area, and running in running shorts with a lining sort the problem for me!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Dave said:
The only problem this creates for me is that in the cold weather the Old General can suffer a bit.

Anyone got any ideas how I can solve this problem.............?

Auntie Granty must have an answer.
Dave, your 'old General' is much older than mine ..... and as a result I have never had a problem. :p:d ............. but I'll ask my older bruv later.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Granty said:
Dave, your 'old General' is much older than mine ..... and as a result I have never had a problem. :p:d ............. but I'll ask my older bruv later.
My legs are older too...................

but they seem to do a better job than yours............:p

·
Registered
159 Posts
Have a good feel.......

:p

around the inside of your trainers. I got blisters on my arches last year and it was because the tape had come off the stitching inside the tainers so it was rubbing.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Dave said:
My legs are older too...................
but they seem to do a better job than yours............:p
Good point, nicely made ......................... Swine ! :p

Still, the air density is heavier where I run .. :asleep:

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Granty.

Off subject I know,But bad night for me and you Tuesday.

Rovers and Spurs winning............:mad:

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Black Tuesday indeed. I could not believe Rovers won, but looking at the pitch it was more like a ploughed meadow. I bet Fulham could not believe their eyes when they cane out the tunnel. (Still, hoping they take one eye off the league and hit rock bottom whilst dreaming of the cup :d)

And fancy Spurs winning as well (first time in nine years I think they said), I had a bet on as well for the Gunners and Fulham :(

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jason said:
Have a good feel.......

:p

around the inside of your trainers. I got blisters on my arches last year and it was because the tape had come off the stitching inside the tainers so it was rubbing.
Jason

I've had a good feel and they seem ok but thanks for the idea... ;)

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Yeah, I think running shorts with the built-in briefs should do the trick (not for the blistered arches... the other thing!).
In fact I never wear anything else... I don't actually own any conventional underwear! :embarrassed:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
pedestrian said:
Yeah, I think running shorts with the built-in briefs should do the trick (not for the blistered arches... the other thing!).
I'll have a look at Run And Become tomorrow in Edinburgh and see what they've got along that line... thanks.

pedestrian said:
In fact I never wear anything else... I don't actually own any conventional underwear! :embarrassed:
Really?!?! You just go commando everywhere?? Or are you never out of yer running shorts?!?

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
johnny t can't really help with the problem of chaffing as i'm so bandy i couldn't stop a pig in a passageway!.The only thing i can suggest is not to use the boxers and let it all flop about in the mesh of your shorts (Ihope there are no girls reading these posts it'll do nothing for our image guys!!)

Dave with regard to your freezing nether regions have you tried running backwards!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
cheriton said:
Dave with regard to your freezing nether regions have you tried running backwards!

I`m slow enough running forward Cheriton................:)

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I think there should be a "Male" section all this talk about generals and feeling things I feel a bit light headed :p

Other good anti-chaffing products are Brave Soldier or Bodyglide, I have used both of these and found they work great but if you get on with vaseline this is a much cheaper option.

Great news with your running progress :d

TT

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Johnny T said:
I'll have a look at Run And Become tomorrow in Edinburgh and see what they've got along that line... thanks.

Really?!?! You just go commando everywhere?? Or are you never out of yer running shorts?!?
LOL! I hadn't anticipated my post being interpreted like that! :embarrassed: ... No, I just wear running shorts all the time.;)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts