Runners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I started running in May - I was dogged with a recurring calf injury. I haven't had a problem with it for about 2 months, but on Thursday night I went out for a shortish run - but it was the first time in about 2 weeks doing a run having cycled to work the same day.
Anyway - on Thursday I was pushing the pace a bit until my hamstring went :(
Tried stretching then completing the run but it was too sore so had to stop and walk/v. slow jog home

Had a general sinking feeling because I was thinking that you just can't push yourself without injury, and I always like to push myself but felt I haven't really been able to for fear of my calf going (been trying to build it up slowly) - and now I'd have this to worry about too :mad:

My leg was sore on Friday and Saturday, but on Saturday night I wanted to try an easy run to at the very least confirm whether or not I need to take a total break for a bit like I had to with the calf.
Done 4 easy miles and everything held out - so was happy with that.

On the back of that I headed out today, and thought I'd go out at a normal pace and stop early if the leg wasn't up for it. But I was surprised and exceedingly pleased to find it lasted the whole 10 miles :)
I ended up doing a decent pace for my level - but that was nothing compared to the relief I had from my leg being ok - and thus Thursday night only being a mild strain or something similar.

So - its good in a way, but the idea of running is not deriving your pleasure from not being injured - so when you think about it - it shouldn't really act as the highlight of the run, but for me it did.

Sorry for rambling :happy:

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I think we all know the feeling Badz.

Glad it wasn`t anything serious.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Quite a normal feeling I think Badz, if anything twinges fear of not being able to run for ages seems to set in, and the more serious the twinge (i.e. if you need to drop to a walk) the more concerning it can be.

I would suggest that the your pleasure from your run did not come from the fact that your hamstring didn't go 'ping' again, but from your general love of running which you were only reminded of when faced with the possibility of having it taken away :)

(sounds cheesey eh? ;))

1 - 3 of 3 Posts