Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing great with my bit of training and thought I'd worked it up from 10 to 20ish minutes a day. I stretch, walk for 10 mins before hand, and 5 mins afterwards and stretch.

Anyway, today I had such a rubbish run! I'm doing a 2k fun run on sunday, so the other half drove me 2k away from my house so I could run back. It was evil! I stopped running at least twice and walked for a mo. I did the 2k in 12mins which I thought wasn't too bad a time, but then I couldn't/didnt want to run anymore, though I planned to run for 20 mins.

The only think I could think was that the weather was very muggy, also it's been 2 days since I last ran, due to calf pain I was having, so maybe that's set back any improvement I've made a bit. How annoying!

Still, I will persist and hope it's back on track next time.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Yeah you keep going! It will get easier :)

I find my first couple of miles kill me, then I suddenly get into a steady pace, and find when I get home I could have run further, I never have understood why this happens:confused:

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Don't let one bad run get you down... I had my worst run ever last thursday - Never before have I gone out for a run and then come home wishing I'd never bothered, but on Thursday I did... I ended up walking the last 0.75 miles.

The body can be a funny thing, especially when you've got an important event coming up. Don't worry and visualise how things will go on the day - a bit of PMA goes a long way ;)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Richard,
I had one of those runs last year. I was down the beach, about 5 miles into an easy sunday 8 miler and all of a sudden I just lost the will to live. I sat down on a rock and just couldn't get up atnd motivate myself to run again. I walked home depressed and couldn't understand why. It was just like a cloud. No rhyme or reason, my mind said no and my body followed. Next run after that I was fine. A bad day running is still better for you than every day doing nothing on the sofa though. You always live to fight another day:)

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
It does make you feel depressed when you have a bad one thinking why am i doing this, but we still carry on........

We feel better once its over though :p

I think sometimes you can think about running too much and worry unecessary.

Especially for new runners anyway.

·
Registered
835 Posts
You say that you started 2k away. I presume from that, that you got home and had intended to run on further. My guess is that once mentally 'home' your head plays tricks.

One of my regular runs involves a smaller circuit near home within a larger loop. I always do the circuit first rather than at the end as it is all to easy to convince myself not to do it. Don't get me wrong, I love running but my head does tend to get the better of my heart the further into the run I get :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
scr8pe said:
You say that you started 2k away. I presume from that, that you got home and had intended to run on further. My guess is that once mentally 'home' your head plays tricks.

One of my regular runs involves a smaller circuit near home within a larger loop. I always do the circuit first rather than at the end as it is all to easy to convince myself not to do it. Don't get me wrong, I love running but my head does tend to get the better of my heart the further into the run I get :(
That's true lol I do find that I do 5 mins then am looking at the time, thinking I've done longer lol, then trot on to the end.

I think you're right, also I came down with some sort of hayfever/cold later that night, so that can't have helped.

Going out again for a little bit tomorrow. Thanks everyone:)

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
i never time myself...

it's depressing...

i only run fast during races...

haven't had a race in two months though...

but am going crazy...

have my uni finals and running like a madman trying to get sane...

ARAAGGGH !...

but it's not working...

going to sleep...

hope you enjoyed ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts