Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I am trying out this experiment. Covering just 2 mile distance. After a 3 minute pre-stretch, I jog for half a mile to warm up a little, then I run for 100 metres, then sprint for 30 metres, then back to jogging for 100 metres until I have caught my breath, repeating the process until the 2 miles have been covered. By the time I finish, I am totally out of breath, glowing and sweating a lot. I then perform another 3 minutes of stretching before going home. I do this every other day, regardless of the weather.

Food: I do not eat crisps, biscuits, cakes, ice cream or chocolates, apart from 2 portions of fruits per day. No fizzy drinks, just concentrated fruit juices with water, and no alcohol at all.

I do not live on a salad diet. I just eat what I have been eating all my life, but have reduced my food portions by nearly a quarter. I even have 1 egg, 2 slices of bacon and 2 sausages on Saturdays only, but I drain the oil on a kitchen towel first. I also have 2 slices of toasted white bread with that and either brown or red sauce.

Within 2 weeks, I noticed my trousers becoming loose on me and it keeps getting looser. I hope to be seeing a flat stomach after the 4 months. By the way, I do not consider myself to be chubby, but I do have a podgy belly, even though I weigh 11.5 stone at 5ft8. So my advice is not for overweight peoples, but those in my situation. Although it can apply to those who are overweight, providing they have a strong will power in all those areas.

I would like to hear from anyone who disagrees with my theory and please elaborate on your disagreements.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Howdy LMXL!

It sounds like you're pretty committed to your weightloss which really is key - of course be sure you're consuming enough calories to ensure the diet & weightloss is sustainable.

As for the run, it sounds like a good intense session, though I'm sure you would find similar effects with a variety of different runs - may be something to consider if you start to lose motivation at all or get bored of the same session?

Best of luck with the weightloss, keep us updated with how you're getting on :cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Essell,

I run every other day for 2 miles: jog, run and sprint and I repeat this until the 2 miles are up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Richardsimkiss,

When you say that there are a variety of different runs with similar effects, please advise, because I was thinking of increasing my distance to 3 miles instead, and running all the way rather than sprinting. I did so, and found that I was not as exhausted after the 3 miles and felt that it wasn't as effective as my original idea.

If you can think of another way, pleae advise and many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

LMXL

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
The key is distance LMXL, if you sprint on and off for 2miles, yes it will wear you out a lot, and you'll have finished in nearly no time at all. If you jog the same distance, it will seem a lot easier, but it will also take you longer - ultimately you're still burning the same number of calories and using the same total amount of energy.

There are arguments surrounding various intenisties of exercise - short and fast workouts will speed up the metabolism for a period after you've finished exercises; though slower runs encourage the body to burn fat as its preferential energy source (short fast workouts will utilise more glycogen stored in the muscles).

Personally I'd consider working on 3/4 different workouts... one being as you are at the moment with short sprints, another being a longer but slow run, another being in the middle, e.g. 0.75warm up, 0.75 cool down, with 1.5mi at a fast pace that you can comfortably maintain, then maybe consider some hill sessions (i.e. running up a hill, jog back down to the bottom).

It's not essential to do these workouts by any means, many people just go out and run at a steady pace at all times, but it's good to know you have the option to do various workouts to maintain motivation ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts