Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after 2 caesarian's my tummy is slack to put it finely. I am unable to do sit ups as it puts too much pressure on my neck.

Can anyone suggest any alternative abdominal exercises for all round toning especially the lower ab region? Any other ladies on here with this problem? Kids, dont you just love em :huh:

Cheers Nat

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
How about gentle stomach crunches with your hands behind your head for support.

It's normally dieting though that gets rid of the post baby bits.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'm currently trying "the plank" basically the press-up position but resting on your fore-arms. It's painful but apparently gives results. More importantly it doesn't impact on your neck.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I'm currently trying "the plank" basically the press-up position but resting on your fore-arms. It's painful but apparently gives results. More importantly it doesn't impact on your neck.
I'd second this.

There are also a number of pilates exercises that are good. I'm just struggling to work out how to explain them in words. I'm off to see if I can find words and pictures for them via Google.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks BPC.....will try them out later. The hundred looks daunting :huh:

@dimple - I have been down to a size 8 post baby but my stomach/baby bag was still the same. I'm now a size 12 and dieting through Slimming world but need more definition in my abs

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Thanks BPC.....will try them out later. The hundred looks daunting :huh:
It's one of those exercises where you start out thinking "this is easy" and then before you know it, you're lying on your back clutching your stomach, wondering why you're doing it to yourself :confused: :d

Don't worry if you can't do all the reps. Even a few will get your abs working. :)

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I'm a size 8 but my stomach ain't completely flat (tis when I stand up tho, lol)

Good luck with Slimmers World, I did that once and it didn't suit me. I found just eating sensibly worked for me and forgetting about dieting. I think these companies are robbing us at this slimming game.

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
I'm a size 8 but my stomach ain't completely flat (tis when I stand up tho, lol)

Good luck with Slimmers World, I did that once and it didn't suit me. I found just eating sensibly worked for me and forgetting about dieting. I think these companies are robbing us at this slimming game.
My stomach is completley flat when i lie down or stand up, the problem i have is when i wake from my dream.

Reality hmmmph it ain't all its cracked up to be :p

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used to go to class post 2nd baby mainly to get me out of the house and meet people and have a chin wag lol. I just follow the plan at home now. It works for me as Ive lost
8lb in 16 days. It's slowing down now and i'm sure some of that was water but feeling better already and never hungry.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If there's pressure on your neck it sounds like (and I could be wrong) you are not fully engaging your stomach muscles.. which is bad for your neck if you are craning it to help complete the movement.. try moving your upper body only slightly off the floor as far as you can using ab muscles alone with your head tilted very slightly back to avoid using it at all..
but then I do stress that's just my opinion and I'm no expert!:d

·
Registered
133 Posts
Have you got a gymball? If so lie on your back on the floor with the ball between your legs. Lift the ball all the way over untill you think the ball is going to smack you in the face.

I also do the plank, we call it 'the killer' for obvious reasons. The above we have named 'feel the burn' just to give you an idea!!

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
I have one of those frames that help you do situps. I must dig it out or I may end up a very odd shape. I hate situps though. Maybe I could have surgery instead.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Have you got a gymball? If so lie on your back on the floor with the ball between your legs. Lift the ball all the way over untill you think the ball is going to smack you in the face.

I also do the plank, we call it 'the killer' for obvious reasons. The above we have named 'feel the burn' just to give you an idea!!
How long do you "plank" for?:huh:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi, I very briefly had abs of steel in preparation for my wedding, that was two and a half weeks ago and now I'm half a stone heavier and feeling very guilty - back to work and exercise tomorrow:embarrassed:

If you have a gym near you that does BTS classes (I think you get them nationwide) then a class called bodypump is amazing, it does general toning and about 5 mins of just abs per hour class but I noticed huge changes very quickly. It includes the plank - i hate, hate hate it. They also taught me how to do sit ups without hurting my neck and keep nagging you to do them right whenever you get tired and start using your neck. I've never managed to get myself looking so good exercising alone, only hope I can get back to it now the motivation of the wedding is gone :rolleyes:

·
Registered
28 Posts
as well the plank you can also do similar, on your side, so just on one elbow, facing the wall works the sides and speeds up results and definition. when your comfortable with that can do straight arm raises with your free hand with a light weight.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts