Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. New to running. Started nearly 3 months ago. Started doing run/walk method then got virus/allergy for 4 weeks and couldnt breathe!! Started running again and then got knee problem. Things finally started to improve. Last two runs - 1.5 miles - 14mins, 1.76 miles 17 mins, without stopping, not got up to 2 miles yet. Dont know if these are good times or bad? I'm 41 and never really done any exercise before.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Hiya,

As you've only just started out I'd personally not worry about the times at all but just enjoy the fact that you are out there running. Just take it steady, DONT overtrain at the beginning and in no time at all the times will start to come down, just don't get worried about them for the time being.

PS - Assume you have proper running shoes, and running with a partner / club is most definately good for motivation.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Granty has covered it really....

Take your time getting your body used to running before worrying too much about times/distance. Add a bit more distance to your runs every week and before you know it you'll be running 5k and going quicker than you thought you could.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Good on you. I'm in a very similar position to you. 37yrs and not done much for at least the last 10 years. I'm at the 2 mile mark and it kills me every time. While I agree that the timing isn't important, the fact that you're out there doing it is, but, I time myself too as I find I get a bit of a buzz seeing the times drop by a couple of seconds each time. I think your times seem very respectable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts