Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me, or does any one else who runs/jogs outdoors get daft imbeciles coming up to them and stopping them on their tracks to ask questions? Or drive past in a car and shout ‘run Forest RUNN’, to then speed off laughing hysterically?

It doesn’t bother me as much, because usually they are obese and have no motivation to keep themselves healthy, so I feel better when I compare myself against them.

But yesterday on my 5.2 mile jog I was stopped by some crack head who was collapsed on a little bit of green next to the cycle path and asked, while I ran past her sweating and panting, ‘Have you got a lighter ?’ . This is the second time that’s happened now! Luckily i carried on running this time and unfortunatelly gave her a piece of my mind. it isnt like me to do so but she hit a nerve :p

Today’s world =( its upsetting! Am I the only one who keeps getting distracted on their runs?

:embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

·
Registered
98 Posts
I tend to be able to ignore everyone when Im running.

I just put on my headphones and thats that.

I even run straight past my grandparents tonight, thinking they were some yobs on the park bench shouting abuse.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Mathew said:
Is it just me? Am I the only one who keeps getting distracted on their runs?
I often get distracted but, up on the fells, it's usually with very pleasant things. I'm quite fortunate in never having been distracted by 'idiots, daft imbeciles, crackheads'. Fortunately, in my running world, they don't seem to exist.
Cheers!

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I have had similar experiences and find that the best way to deal with it is to not respond in any way and keep on running.

·
Registered
13 Posts
putting em off

It is very convenient if the distraction happens at that regular point in your run where you have the irresistable need to break wind loudly as a form of comment........or is that just me:embarrassed:

·
Registered
123 Posts
I live and run in two different worlds. In Cornwall my runs are only interupted by deer, buzzards, foxes, badgers and wonderfull sights such as bluebell woods or breathtaking sea-views. In Southampton I run around the Lordshill estates and suffer from some pretty inane comments. I have two ways of dealing with them. Sometimes I just ignore them and let the rosy glow of knowing that I am fitter and have a more rewarding life insulate me from their ignorance. Sometimes I have a chat with my tormentors and get them to run with me then I pick the pace up and watch them struggle to keep up, then I really pick the pace-up and blast them away. A great feeling when you are 53 and they are in their teens.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Like Edward I either ignore them and internally laugh at them as they take another drag or invite them to run alongside and then count out loud to see how long they last!

·
Registered
98 Posts
There no point talking to people who shout out things abusive.

Sometimes some girls might start running with me, or some guys might say something funny, but if I feel its negative, then Ill just think of something quickly and forget about what they said.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
My running club runs a 3 mile loop, and I often have people asking me "haven't I just passed you?" when I'm on my second or third loop.

I've also noticed that the neds seem to be shouting abuse at me more often recently - "sadsack" seems to one of their favourites, although I'm not that fat. The rest of the abuse is unprintable.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I always seem to get stopped for directions, as people assume if you are out running somewhere, you're likely to know the area!!
I don't mind too much, unless I'm in the middle of speedwork!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I often see the same elderly couple walking their dog as I get to the end of my run. Last time I saw them I overheard her say to her husband, "he's getting better... he's not been sick this time"

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
haha excellent replies. Its good to know that the people on this forum have a sense of humour, maturity and tollerance. I think the next wave of abuse i get i will take with a pinch of salt and just laugh it off.

whats a ned though lol? is that what we call chavs ( in hertfordshire - near london :d )?

haha ive never been super soakered, at least its a refreshing burst to help you on your run :).

The good thing is though, the runners i jog past give you the best respect with a nod, a smile or a thumbs up of appreciation. :p

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I rarely get daft comments, although I DO hate when people take up the entire footpath walking very slowly, with no intention of moving out of the darned way!

Or people who see you coming, act like they are about to move one way or another, but don't quite make their minds up, so we both end up standing nervously in the middle of the path, making small movements left and right til one of us figures it out

The super-soaker actually sounds pleasant :d

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I frequently get 'abused' (verbally I should add :eek: ) whilst running, generally in my case by slightly obese, spotty retarted kids of around 16 or so.

Makes me laugh I have to say as most of them don't have the breath to actually finish the sentance before wheezing the last few words out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
haha just come back from a jog, and my god i held it in this time.

But while jogging up a straight path, an old woman was standing at her fence, with he dog on a lead, watching me approaching. Just as i get about 6ft away from her, she decides to walk out infront of me with the dog... regardless to the fact that she was standing there for a good 30seconds watching me!!!!!! :mad: Why didnt she wait for me to pass and why did she choose to move when i was just about to pass... such an idiot!! Im sure she's on the hunt for some health and medical insurance claims when i push her over and break her hip :eek:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes I know!!!

Mathew said:
Is it just me, or does any one else who runs/jogs outdoors get daft imbeciles coming up to them and stopping them on their tracks to ask questions? Or drive past in a car and shout ‘run Forest RUNN’, to then speed off laughing hysterically?

It doesn’t bother me as much, because usually they are obese and have no motivation to keep themselves healthy, so I feel better when I compare myself against them.

But yesterday on my 5.2 mile jog I was stopped by some crack head who was collapsed on a little bit of green next to the cycle path and asked, while I ran past her sweating and panting, ‘Have you got a lighter ?’ . This is the second time that’s happened now! Luckily i carried on running this time and unfortunatelly gave her a piece of my mind. it isnt like me to do so but she hit a nerve :p

Today’s world =( its upsetting! Am I the only one who keeps getting distracted on their runs?

:embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:
I know what you mean on thursday and friday I was called a sweaty bastard by two different idiots,i was wondering if the sweat had anything to do with two 10.5 mile runs. I do enjoy seeing these people on my runs because I know it bothers them that I'm doing what they can't,it gives me a lift. Take care and enjoy the open spaces!!!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Ran past a group of teenage kids on a street cooner a few days ago, expecting some grief and one of them shouted "That's good running mate, well done". I nearly stopped in shock as I don't think he was being sarcastic!!!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
sensible said:
Ran past a group of teenage kids on a street cooner a few days ago, expecting some grief and one of them shouted "That's good running mate, well done". I nearly stopped in shock as I don't think he was being sarcastic!!!
Did you check to see if you still had your wallet in your back pocket ? :p

1 - 20 of 68 Posts