Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a reflection of towns and not doubt society today, whats the worst abuse you have had whilst running?

Myself, nothing bad, a few times I will get a car driving past shouting "wanker" (maybe they know me better than I thought!! :embarrassed:) ).... normally full of young lads showing off which I can sort of understand the retarded mentality.... but one day I had a chap alone in his car come past leaning out of the window shouting "wanker", which I just could not understand why?

Luckily he was driving a bronze MKI cortina chav'd up, and as the town I run around is small its only a matter of time before I notice his car again when I am not running..... :cool:

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Me and my mate tonight actually have had 2 episodes of the worst abuse, and they both were men outside pubs with their mates. Sometimes it makes me really angry, but tonight it just made me run faster. One of them was a great big fat bugger with a beer belly, I just looked at him and laughed.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dimple said:
One of them was a great big fat bugger with a beer belly, I just looked at him and laughed.
HAHA! Nice work! He throws abuse, you throw a smug look! :cool: Nice work centurion...

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Maybe I have just been lucky, but here in Edinburgh I have never had a problem with any kind of abuse. People seem pretty nice to runners. Even cars stop when the light is green to let me run accross so I don't break my flow. Sometimes it makes it worse because I am already slowing because I expect them to drive on, but then they brake and I have to quickly speed up again.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I too never have this problem, most seem to make way for me and often nod in acknowledgement. Doing the runs at regular times often means meeting the same folk.

Oh, I did on one occasion get abuse from a passing car full of chavs who thought it amusing to shout 'Run Forest Run'. How original!

·
Registered
143 Posts
never had this problem although i run allot less than most!

I imagine a few guys will have had the "nice shorts" ...as i often think this to myself when i see a runner with the little short sorts you see. :p

I often feel inclined to shout at cyclists when in the car...just the ones that feel its ok for them to huddle 2 or 3 wide on a country road, not going very fast at all, and wont bother to smooth out for a second to let you past!

·
Registered
56 Posts
scr8pe said:
Oh, I did on one occasion get abuse from a passing car full of chavs who thought it amusing to shout 'Run Forest Run'. How original!
I think everyone has had that 'abuse' thrown at them.

I've never had a problem in London, and if I'm at my parents place in the country I hardly see anyone :d

The way I see it for every person who shouts abuse there are 10 people who are eyeing you up enviously wishing they could that :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
How true fandango I used to be 1 of those people who used to drive past runners and think I would loved to be able to do that one day.

Shaz

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Not that I've done a great deal of running, but I've never had any abuse at all. Mostly people just smile and/or say hello. I've even had a couple of pleasant chats with passersby while warming up or cooling down.

I've also often walked home from Tae Kwon Do in my white dobok and not had a single comment, even from groups of teenagers hanging about on corners. That may be because they mistakenly believe I'm actually good at TKD, though :p

·
Registered
943 Posts
I'm very lucky - I've not had any abuse (but I'm sure male runners might encounter more than female runners). It could, of course, be that 'just try it' look I'm told I always have on my face :d

dimple said:
One of them was a great big fat bugger with a beer belly, I just looked at him and laughed.
'BELLY'S GONNA GET YA'!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN_R0J8kU5I

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I get the usual 'up two' and 'Run Forest' but I just laugh it off.
I did run with a guy years ago who used to gob on people if they shouted abuse at them! Soon shut them up once they were covered in spit!

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I get the usual shouts of Run Forest, run as well, as well as some slightly more offensive things.

It's strange, but it always seems to be teenagers in beat up Corsas shouting the abuse.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Grant said:
It's strange, but it always seems to be teenagers in beat up Corsas shouting the abuse.
I believe the correct term for these type of the animal kingdom seen around towns of the UK is pronounced "Le Charv", the same as "Chav" as its written normally in newspeak...

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
steepler said:
I get the usual 'up two' and 'Run Forest' but I just laugh it off.
I did run with a guy years ago who used to gob on people if they shouted abuse at them! Soon shut them up once they were covered in spit!

You'd probably get done for assault if you tried that these days. :(

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
When you want attention the worst thing to happen to you is to be ignored ...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Scarbib_jack said:
never had this problem although i run allot less than most!

I imagine a few guys will have had the "nice shorts" ...as i often think this to myself when i see a runner with the little short sorts you see. :p

I often feel inclined to shout at cyclists when in the car...just the ones that feel its ok for them to huddle 2 or 3 wide on a country road, not going very fast at all, and wont bother to smooth out for a second to let you past!

why do you want to shout abuse at cyclists?

(have you actually read the highway code for cycling in narrow lanes?)

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
With all due respect intriathlete, if you read the highway code, you'll understand that the pedestrian has right of way virtually at all times... would it therefore be okay for people to walk 12 abreast down a country lane?

I'll happily go out on a bike ride with others, but come on, it doesn't take much to fall into single file to let cars (or anything capable of MUCH faster speeds) past. the same goes for runners, walkers and horse riders.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts