Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've recently started running and its the first exercise I have done for years!

I've started to get aches and pains all over, mainly my knees and what feels like where my right leg meets my hip(?), right inside at the ball joint perhaps! I've invested in some decent running shoes and I generally run on soft ground so dont think it's to do with that.

I'm just wondering if its better to have a couple of weeks off and let the aches and pains die down or just to carry on and battle through it. The pain doesn't feel like an 'injury' kind of pain and doesn't feel like it will cause any problems by carrying on, just wanted some advice really.

Thanks

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Hi,
I suspect it's simply a case of the body revolting against the exercise...it'll get used to it. Just take things steady and don't do too much too soon.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Steve said:
Hi,
I suspect it's simply a case of the body revolting against the exercise...it'll get used to it. Just take things steady and don't do too much too soon.
Hold on a minute, Steve. Martin's only been here for two or three posts; and you're saying he's got a revolting body?! :eek: That's no way to welcome someone to the Forum! :p

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi

Welcome to RF

Good for you dropping the fags and taking up the running, the running stopped me smoking and like you have not looked back either.

Just out of interest what shoes/trainers are you running in? If you have not got good running shoes that may also be the cause of your aches and pains, apart from the obvious of just getting into this crazy world or running.

You are doing great so keep it up.

TT

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers people, I'll try stretching or taking things slowly. Dont want my 'revolting body' getting too strained!! hehe :p

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm wearing Adidas torsion trainers at the moment, not sure if they are the best for the job or not but they seem very comfortable on the feet. Have read a lot about gait analysis in the forums, at this amateur stage of running that might be a bit excessive to go through all that but might look into it if the problems persist.

Although like steve said, its probably my bodies way of telling me it doesn't like exercise!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
runMartinrun said:
I'm wearing Adidas torsion trainers at the moment, not sure if they are the best for the job or not but they seem very comfortable on the feet. Have read a lot about gait analysis in the forums, at this amateur stage of running that might be a bit excessive to go through all that but might look into it if the problems persist.
Going to a proper running shop and getting them to look at your running style isn't a big thing to do, but could make a huge difference. You don't want to find out that your shoes are wrong for you by getting injured. Not that I'm suggesting that will happen, I'm not trying to scare you!

It might mean splashing out on a new pair of trainers, but the gait analysis is generally free, so unless you really don't want/can't afford a new pair, I wouldn't say that it's excessive.

I'm a new runner too, but I knew that I'd have problems (have had something a bit like shin splints before, so didn't want to take the risk) so I went to a proper running shop and got shoes to suit me. I'm really glad I did as I could really feel the difference in the way my feet felt in them compared to my previous not-running-specific trainers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts