Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel very frustrated, I went out for my usual jog tonight and only managed half the distance I did last week. After a mile I was knackered and during the walk back my left knee and right ankle became quite sore, I had real trouble getting up the stairs back home.

I feel as if I'm going backwards after all the improvements I've made recently. :'(

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
It takes time for your body to adapt to increased exercise... take a day or two off...it won't hurt and will probably do you more good

I get aches and pains too when I increase training... it's just a case of listening to your body and responding to the messages

Don't worry... it's perfectly normal :)

·
Registered
516 Posts
Hi again. Sounds like you're having a bad couple of weeks. :(

I'd take a few days off if I was you. I used to run nearly every day and I badly injured myself by ignoring aches and pains that turned out to be a proper injury. I ended up giving up from September last year right through till February this year. That was torture.

I'm sure it's not as bad as that but a few days off to give the legs time to heal could do the world of good, no matter how frustrating the prospect sounds.

Hope you feel better soon.

Ito.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took 3 days off at the weekend and feel crap now! lol

I was doing great until last Thursday and since then I've gained 4lb , find jogging slightly more difficult and have found some of my clothes feel a little tighter, what the hell is going on?! I never would have thought a weekend of fun would have this effect

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi again. Sounds like you're having a bad couple of weeks. :(
Yeah it certainly feels like it!

I admit I did eat a bit more than usual at the weekend though we didnt sit around idle.

It's going to be hard to rest but I guess thats what I need for the next couple of days.....sigh

·
Registered
516 Posts
This might sound odd, so please forgive me...

I was 12st 2lb on Friday morning. I know that because I weigh myself every Friday morning to see how close I am to achieving what I feel is my optimum running weight of 11st 12lb.

Now, I ended up going to my friends on Saturday for an impromptu supper and had good guzzle of wine, and on Sunday we went out for Thai food. I weighed myself Monday morning and I was up to 12st 8lb, which is my 2lb higher than what I normally weigh, and I haven't been that for 4 weeks since I started training again properly.

Today I am still 12st 5lb despite eating very sensibly and healthy for two days. I tried a run last night in preparation for my 10k run this Sunday and managed only 4k. Now my back hurts!

I'm going to try not to run again till I feel better even if that means I only have one more run before Sunday. A decent time will be out of the window. Ah well, the next one is only three weeks away!

I think what I am trying to say don't let it get you down - it happens! I pretty much had the same couple of days as you. It can be a killer when you are so full of enthusiasm but the body can't keep up.

It will get there eventually for both of us :d

Phew, sorry for the horribly long post!!

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
A bad run is only a run which didn't go as well as you wanted. It was still an achievement.

I think that at my level I do not think through my running like a serious runner and as such I will run more than I should when I feel good and then am surprised when I have not recovered and run badly a few days later.

If you look at a schedule, you keep to it. Therefore if it says 3 mile slow run that is what you do. Whereas I run 3 feel good and so go straight on instead of left and run 6.

Funnily enough on Sunday I than can't run 12 none stop.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Patience is needed I think, something I dont have much of at times!

I was planning to to a spinning class this Thursday, do you think I should still go if I feel up to it?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Give it a go. That's what I'll be doing tomorrow night. As you no doubt know with spin that you can just go your own pace if you need to, and more essentially it's non weight bearing.

I swear by spin classes. They've helped me a great deal.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I used to weigh myself a lot until very recently... thing is my weight doesn't seem to shift a lot at all and can fluctuate quite a bit. I certainly don't eat excessively and on ~40miles a week I was expecting to lose weight pretty sharpish! But as it turns out - nothing seems to make a great amount of difference :(

But do you know what? Sod those bloody numbers! I've been this same weight for what must be nearly a year now - and in that year I've improved my running a lot (PB's at all distances) and my body looks/feels a lot better too, regardless of what the numbers say. :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
You've probably got yo an optimum weight RS. In my case though, having gone from doing very little exercise, after four weeks of running i have lost a grand total of 1lb! :(

I'd have thought at 17stone 7lbs I'd have a lot to lose and it would be dropping off me! I know i am only doing 8-9 miles a week at the moment, but when will I start to lose significant weight?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
It very much depends on your calorie intake - if you stay eating exactly the same things, and run 9miles per week at your weight you'll be burning off an extra 1400kcals a week... as for weightloss it completely depends on whether you consume more calories than you expend, or if you have a calorie defecit (eat less than you burn off)

If we assume for instance that previously you ate exactly what you burned off in your day to day life (and therefore maintained the same weight) we could assume that you now have a calorie defecit of 1400calories from your running - 3500kcals = 1lb of bodyfat, so it would take you two and a half weeks to burn off 1lb.

If however you were previously consuming more than you were burning off, the weightloss will take even longer... I found keeping a food diary (yes - it can be called calorie counting if you like) for a short period (about a week) to be a GREAT way to understand how many calories I was taking on board because to be honest I had no idea beforehand!!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I am not knowingly eating any more than I used to, when my weight would fluctuate between 17 5 and 17 10 over a period of about 6 months, depending on how much rugby I was playing etc. I suppose for the summer period not putting on weight is probably a good thing for me, and so losing a lb is quite a big difference.

When I get up to ~15 miles a week I expect I will see a much bigger difference. I don't really want to have to drag more than 15.5 - 16 stones around Rome!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
The weight will fall off...it's a game of patience, hard work and determination!!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Well, I had a great spin class tonight, despite getting only 4 hours kip last night. My random insomnia was back for the first time in months, for one night only I hope! I was tooing and froing all day whether to go but decided at the last minute that I'd probably regret it if I didn't go. It was very tough, but very good, and I managed a fantastic workout, but the biggest achievement was psychological - choosing to go in the first place. Now I feel excellent, and am hopefully back on track for Sunday.

Maybe this is a post for SpinnersForum. Sorry ;)

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I used to really suffer with sleeplessnights from time to time - it'd drive me mad! Recently though (well for a few months now) I've been having a nice mug of Clipper Organic Sleep Easy Tea... doesn't make me feel drowsy at all but I always manage to fall asleep a lot quicker and then just don't wake up until the alarm goes off (or the sunlight wakes me up)... otherwise I can be waking up 3 or 4 times in the night - no idea why but it's bloody annoying!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts