Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and a happy new year to all, i have recently started running and alls fine except my shins, the bone feels like a block of wood no give, difficult to explain, its not hurting as such but it seems to confuse the rythm of my running, i can't take big strides,its like an ache, is this a beginners traite thanks

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hello Paul, what are your trainers like? How long have you had them? Could be a possible source of a problem if you are new to running.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It could be shin splints, you might want to go and see your GP. Otherwise I would recommend resting for a few days to see if that cures the problem.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The dreaded shin splints pain is more like a constant hot pain along the front and insides of the shins which increases in intensity if you even try a little running. Normally, I rest up for 2 weeks when mine occur. I've also recently changed shoes (again) and started base training - so hopefully I'll be seeing the back of my shin splints for good.

I'd say your legs sound like they just need a rest, could be muscle fatigue.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'd forget going to the GP....very few know much about running injuries. Did you get your shoes from a proper running shop. Not all shoes are meant for all people.
Shin-splint pain is worse in the morning and can actually go away when runnning..if it's actute then even walking is very sore.

If in doubt see a good and recommended physio...or treat yourself to a sports massage and see if that clears things up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Big strides? Are you extending your leg forwards of your body? You sound (if this is the case) like you're over-striding. Try to land your foot closer to your body's centre of gravity is my recommendation. There is no need for "big strides". Try to maintain a cadence of about 160-180 strides per minute.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts