Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there fellow runners.... I would be grateful if you could spare me some advice..

I have been keeping up with running and fitness on and off for a bit, but I have now signed myself up for a half Marathon in October!

I have only ever ran as far as 5km. which takes me about 32 minutes on a tredmill. I've never timed myself outdoors. However I now need to quadruple that amount in 5 months...

any ideas on what would be good targets for me? adding an extra 2.5/3km a month? I have read there is a advisable 10% a week but this doesn't seem enough to reach my target..

I have also seen 12 week pre-race plans, which include pacing, thresholds etc.. is this something i concentrate on nearer to the time, or do i just need to practice on increasing my distance??

I also have a martial arts class once a week which is quite intense, altho this usually leaves my upper body with muscle aches rather than my legs. so Im concerned about pushing body too much, I don't want to burn out!?

Look forward to reading your responses! :embarrassed:

·
Registered
707 Posts
I'd say if you want to do it, and you're careful to listen to your body and take heed when you've done too much, you can easily increase your long runs by 1 mile every couple of weeks and even do a short speed workout once a week too. I'm no expert but I reckon that 6 months is plenty of time. I've seen complete beginners start training and be ready for a half in 4 months! Obviously it depends what you want from it - just to finish, or to get a certain time? So... to start off with, personally, I'd not so much increase one run much at the moment - more run that distance 3 times a week or so, your body will get used to it in no time, and then you can start increasing your weekend run, so on and so forth.

Again, I'm no expert - but that's how I did it. Consistency is the key!

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I'd concentrate on building your milage to enable you to get round the course. As it's your first half, you don't need to worry as much about time, as you'll get a PB!

I'd also have a look at the American Runner's World site (runnersworld.com) - they seem to have a lot more programs available for non-subscribers. There is a program called the First half marathon plan - I used the full marathon version of this and found it to be a good programme.

If you are continuing the the martial arts, count this as a cross-training session.

Which martial art do you do? I did Tae Kwon Do for 3 1/2 years.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thankyou for your replies.

Definately am wanting to just be able to finish the race rather than thinking about finsihing times!

So should I be aiming to do 3 runs a week, plus the 'cross train/martial arts session' ? And for the first couple of months work on building my distance, then later down the line work on speed, tempo running? Im just worried I would probably get bored of excersizing so much!? I am running it with 2 others, so hopefully we can motivate eachother..! What I tend to do, is work at it for 3 months, then slip for a couple of months with occassional runs, then get back into it. But obviosuly this time round, i am preparing for a race.

It is jujitsu i'm doing, I am thoroughly enjoying it, altho I do miss the kicking side of martial arts, since jitsu involves locking, striking and throwng.

I had a rummage through the website recommended, it looks very informative - thanks for that! albeit very technical..!

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
I can't find the website where I got my training program for the Edinburgh 1/2 Marathon but I only decided to to run it in January and I followed a similiar program as this one :
http://www.bupa.co.uk/health_inform.../exercise/running/halfmarathon/programme.html

and I managed to run the 1/2 in 2 hour 4min. When I first starting training I thought I would never manage a full 1/2 marathon but on the day the training really helped.

Listen to your body is probably the best advice I had from the guys and gals on this site, if your really tired, take a day off and recover, don't push yourself because that's how injuries set in.

O.

·
Registered
707 Posts
RosyCheekRunner said:
What I tend to do, is work at it for 3 months, then slip for a couple of months with occassional runs, then get back into it. But obviosuly this time round, i am preparing for a race.

You say this... but once the running bug has bitten I don't think you'll WANT to let runs slip!

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
I thought the exact same, I found buying proper running shoes was a good reason to keep running, £70 or more sitting under your desk doing nothing makes you go out when you can't be bothered and then as ANS said, the bug then bites you and you keep on running :)

O.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes indeed, thats what kept me running in the first instance, got a great pair from the Marathon Shop.

Is it advisable to invest in some running type clothes? or is running in my normal sports stuff ok?

Thats another good link there - thanks Owain. Really explains it well too.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
I got some running shorts but just wear my normal tshirts, I might look at getting a couple of running tops for the warmer weather but the normal Tshirt has done be fine.

O.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Running in anything you feel comfy in is fine... it was only when it got to summer and I'd randomly bought a pair of leggins that I could see it was worth it for that, it's when the weather is particularly poo that you even feel the need to have something that's designed for running. Still when it's freezing to hell but dry I still wear my uni hoody with a couple of layers on underneath. When it's raining you definitely notice the difference with light-weight windbreakers that are vaguely waterproof - ones not designed for running OK, it's just running ones tend to not boil you in a bag cuz they have just the right amount of ventillation.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great - thats what I was hoping to hear!

These comments have been very useful! Now to drawing up a schedule.... wahey! :embarrassed:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts