Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI EVERYONE .Im new to all this forum stuff so go gentle with me .Ive been running on n off for the past 3 years and now training for edinburgh marathon.done a 15 miler on sunday and my acchilles is burning like crazy.10 miles is the most Ive done before that.Is it just the extra distance?

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Sounds quite likely that the extra milage is the problem. Seems that I cause most of my aches and pains the same way.
There are more experienced people on here who I`m sure will be able to be a bit more helpful than me..

Good luck in Edinburgh.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Welcome Mr Red!

Most people will tell you not to increase you weekly mileage by more than 10%, going from 10 to 15 certainly exceeds this as seems a likely cause for your suffering.

I have in the past forgotten the above and paid the price, best advice from me (many others are far better qualified to give advice) rest.

Hope you heal soon.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Could be or could be your footwear?? Have you upped your mileage too quickly? You need to do some ankle strengthening exercises and some dorsal flexions. A useful one I've found it to stand facing a wall with your knees just touching. Bend your knees and move them to the left so they just touch the wall, return to centre and then bend to the right. Repeat 20 times. Standing on one leg also strengthens your ankles.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
A lady ( well she tells me she's a lady, I'm not so sure!) I run with and who's FLM training also has achilles problems and despite having seen medics hasn't yet found out what the actual problem is and why it she has it so I'll watch this space on her behalf with interest.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nice 1

thanks for your replies guys.I think I just did too much.Ain`t it just a joy though when you go out and it is sunny and then the rain comes on and you aint got a waterproof....not!!:d

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes is the answer to increased mileage - when the milegae goes up the body objects.

Ice is a good soother (ideally standing in flowing water is a quick and effective treatment - if you can stand the cold). I agree with Granty - don't increase your mileage too much, too soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts