Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now here's the thing, on my new route (5k) there is a steep incline, which i ran up no problem. Next day the back of my ankle was sore. Walking up/down stairs and walking.

I have read that being new and running up a hill can cause this problem. Well changed back to my old route but added on 1/2k on to it.

How do I combat a hill so I dont get injured?

Do I run to the hill and walk up it then carry on with my run?

Or do I avoid running up all hills till I'm strong enough?

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Not exactly sure how to avoid this apart from warming up and doing some slight stretching. But one thing I would reccomend is not running at all until the soreness has gone. Nip it in the bud quickly, because achilles problems are a bitch to sort out. I once made the mistake of using one of those step machines a few years ago and had pain in my achilles for about a week. I basically did no exercise until it felt normal again and I binned the step machine. Haven't had a problem soon. You probably haven't injured your achilles, but it sounds like you've strained or inflamed it. Just take care of it, because if you do any proper damage it could take months to sort out.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I'll see how it goes. I'm relauctant to stop running. I will still run but at a slower pace and not up hills.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
You got a good pair of running shoes Littlered ??

Stretching works well to over come this and also may be worth icing it if its inflammed still.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep the physio said my running shoes were good for me. Neutral with cushing. Have been icing it, but bloody hell it nips!

What stretching do you recommend or a link would be helpful.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have had the shoes since April, so not new.

I've been haveing a good poke about and it seems to me that it is not on the achilles but just at the right side of it (outside ankle).
I feels painfull but not that painfull, I cant do my excersises the physio gave me for my knee as it is hurting my ankle.

Excersise is standing on a step and put the heel of my left foot on the step below. This is making me bend my right knee. But it is hurting my ankle when I do this.

:':)':)':)'(

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
That is the exact same place mine went. Thing is I was on the flat at the time. It is also the spot where I turned it the week before and felt a twinge.

I did no running for a week and a half and only now am returning to a 30 min walk. Once I can do that without a twinge I will move to a short run and build up slowly.

Better to be sure rather than end up off for months.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I have to admit I phoned the physio then put the phone down:rolleyes:
So he phoned me back and i told him about the prob and he said to come see him on Thursday. So at least if I'm not running I'll have excersises to do so I'll feel like i'm doing something to help.

God I get all worked up over things like this, I even refered my self to the physio at the Dr's office:confused: cos I had been thinking if I need an orthic the physio will refer me and I'll get it on the NHS, cos to be honest I cant really afford this physio appointment let alone the price for an orthic.

So I'll stop rambeling on and just say thanks again for the advice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts