Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all been running about 10 weeks on the road built up my weekly mileage to about 25 miles. I ran a stupid route two weeks ago didnt know it, dodgy rocky path and a heavy downhill bit at the end. Guess what my achilles tendon was really hurting afterwards. I rested for 8 days but upon resuming my running this week the pain is still there when i start to run until i warm up and aches badly when i finish. I can put up with it as its not that bad but will i do really serious damage. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
28 Posts
see a sports physio. i tore mine while back and was given advice and new training plan. you need to know exactly whats wrong as to if just need rest or something more.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I would concentrate on a non weight bearing warm-up at least... or maybe just try some non-weight bearing exercises for a while.

Resting will help it to recover but i'd imagine you'd need to build strength into it again to prevent the injury re-occurring. Whilst probably most runners use a steady jog to warm up, putting so much strain on the achilles from cold probably will cause some pain/discomfort. Something like cycling will use the tendon and help strengthen it, without having to support the whole weight of the body.

Certainly not the definitive answer, but perhaps something to consider ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the above advice and i do indeed need to do more stretching. Im so lazy!!!
Although actually since above post it seems to be easing During my long run on Saturday i noted no real ill effects apart from the usual general running aches. Fingers crossed for tonight!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi,

I think I've got the same or similar problem to you plodder. A week ago I did a couple of hard sessions and found my left achilles was aching. It especially hurt first thing in the morning after getting out of bed, and looks a little red compare to the right one. When I ran on it last week it started aching during the run, so I only did a short one at an easy pace. I didn't do anymore running on it for the rest of the week, but did some cycling instead.

It's now starting to improve a bit, so I'll try another run tomorrow. I've read that achilles injuries are slow to heal due to lack of blood supply to the area and the best thing is to rest it, put a cold towel on the area and elevate it.

My calves are always a little tight and I think I missed a few calf streching exercises which might have had something to do with the injury. So I'll definately look to use calf streches as a preventative measure when I get properly running again.

How's the recovery going now? Are you experiencing any pain still?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have had a very similar sounding injury - damaged ankle tendons during a run on a rocky route which was new to me. Have been unable to run for over three weeks. Visited a physio and have some exercises to do but was told to rest until completely 'niggle free'. So far it has been a long three weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Three weeks is a very long time! I don't think that I could stop running for 3 weeks, it would be too painful psychologically! Have you tried any running at all? Even for a couple of mins to see how your ankle responds?

My ankle still isn't right, every morning when I get out of bed it's stiff and I hobble around for a few minutes. I can feel a very slight niggle during the day when I'm walking around. When I run the other day it wasn't too bad, didn't feel much discomfort after I'd warmed up.

As my injury isn't too bad, I might continue running but at reduce mileage. Any experiences from others on this type of injury?

The 'lore of running' book has some good advice, basically to keep running if it's very mild discomfort but with reduced mileage and intensity.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Definately recommend that each runner should have a copy. Don't let the size put you off, I just use it to dip in and out of when I want to find something out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts