Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have flat feet and I'm a few stone over weight. These two things combined give me Achilles tendonitis when ever I start running. As a result I've not done any training for about three years (hence the over weight bit).

I'd like to try and start running again and I'm trying to think of preventative methods to stop the Achilles tendonitis re-occurring. I think if I lost at least 3-4 stone in the first instance then the Achilles tendonitis may not come back, in conjunction with strengthened tendons etc. from the training. However, in the meantime I need to stop the Achilles tendonitis.

My initial thought was to try and find a pair of strong, calf high, boots, with soft, cushioned soles (like a pair of trainers). This may support my feet and prevent them from turning in, which is a cause of the Achilles tendonitis.

I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice, tips they may have used, remedies, etc.

Many thanks,

Aaron

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Have you seen a physio? Also, hav you had an official diagnosis of your flat feet?

I don't usually advocate orthotics but there may be a case for them here. But you'll need to be examined by a good sports physio first.

Start putting your weight right now though..this is a good time of year to start that too

Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Yes, my feet have been diagnosed as flat. They've been like that since birth. They don't cause me any problems in general. Only when I start long distance running. You're right about the weight too!

Aaron

·
Registered
20 Posts
Stretching the calf and hamstring muscles will help. An off the shelf footbed is a good idea too. Cheaper than custom and often they work just as well. I like Dean Karnazes by Sole. Just use them the way they come in the package. Heat molding them to your foot defeats the purpose. They will just mold to your already flat feet.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I too was over weight when I started, but I didn't run. My initial weight loss came from fast walking on the highest gradint treadmill setting. I've found this to be the fastest and easiest way to burn off the calories. The running came later when the extra stress on the body was no longer an issue.

Also, my daily aim was to burn off the calories I'm likely to eat for dinner. ie a hour session (say 750 calories = a pretty substantial meal including pudding of course)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Aaron

I have suffered with Achilles problems - I snapped one - you can get heel inserts (often called heel raises or heel wedges) from a physio. These worked well for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts