Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Relatively new to running and have developed aching calf muscles and hamstrings. The calf muscles start to hurt whilst out running, comes on about a mile in but I have found that a good breathing pattern helps. Im unsure if this is muscular or something else due to the impact on the tarmac. It doesnt feel like my shins and I am used to feeling tight or tired calf muslces but its more of an ache. The hamstrings are less of a problem when im out but more so the next day. I do warm down and make sure i stretch after each run.

I read somewhere that running works the muslces down the back of your leg a lot and being used to sports like football I wonder if these muslces have never had this kind of work out before and thats why they hurt...? Anyone else suffer(ed) from this kind of thing?

I have run about 3 times a week for 3 weeks, 2 smaller runs typically 3 miles and longer one about 5.

I havent had the gait test and been properly fitted with the correct shoes yet so I am guessing this will have something to do with it. I am scheduled in for this week however after i get paid ;)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I'm no doctor but i'd honestly just assume it's your muscles getting used to a new kind of stress. An ache can be a discomfort, which is fine... if it becomes a pain (i.e. your body is telling you to stop running) then I'd start to look into it more, be it visit the docs/physio or just easing off your running.

If the aching is more than you'd like to tolerate then just tone it down a bit until your body is more used to the running :)

No miracle answer i'm afraid, but as they say, the best solution is usually the most simple/obvious! ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am going to ease off for a bit till I get fitted for shoes. Guess I am worried about getting shin splints. I am going to try and pay more attention to this ache in my calf muscles and make sure its the muslces and not the lower leg aching. you know what its like when you think you feel your muslces tiring you try and put your mind else where!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got fitted for trainers yesterday! :cool:

Apparently I have a good straight running technique and dont need the support for over pronating. I do have slighty high arches on my feet and that needs some support. I was told that with no support it can lead to sore calf muscles. Its all came together haha! Not tried them out yet but plan to this evening. Cant wait! :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went for run last night. Did 3.9miles taking it easy with the new trainers. The calf muslces were a bit tired but not sore as before, still not pushing it yet because of a wee twinge in my hamstring and wont for a wee while yet.

Feel fine today and the run was a lot more comfortable last night. Feeling guuuud!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts