Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm new to this running lark and need some advice on how to get into a training plan.

I reasonably fit and can go for a run and comfortably complete 6 or 7 miles, but then my legs will ache for the next 2 or 3 days. How do I get beyond this phase? What is the ache in my legs? Is it lactic acid build up, or damage to muscle fibres? Am I ok to go running on aching legs, or will I risk injury?

If I wait until my legs no longer ache before running again, then the same thing happens again. I feel like I need to run more often so my legs will get used to it, but don't want to risk injury.

Advice appreciated.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Howdy!

aching legs is all part and parcel of running I'm afraid... though the more you run, the less your legs will be susceptable to aches.

You don't need to wait for all aches to completely subside before runs, but at teh same time - if the distances are causing your legs to ache it's probably because you're not yet accustomed to the distance, and by running it everyday you'll soon end up injured.

Make sure you have some decent trainers to suit your running style, and ensure a rest or easy day between hard sessions, and listen to your body if the aches get really bad - the chances are that when you're starting to risk injury, you'll feel more intense aches and the thought of going running will be a pretty dull/nasty one. ;)

I'm sure others will be able to add to these comments...

·
Registered
228 Posts
I had aching legs when I started running even though I was only run/walking (mainly running) 2.5miles. I actually found that running on the aching legs made them feel better after I'd run and stretched. By running fairly short distances 4-5 times a week the aching had pretty much stopped after a couple of weeks. Until I did my half marathon - going down stairs was a it of a challenge for a ocuple of days after that:p

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Howdy!

aching legs is all part and parcel of running I'm afraid... though the more you run, the less your legs will be susceptable to aches.

You don't need to wait for all aches to completely subside before runs, but at teh same time - if the distances are causing your legs to ache it's probably because you're not yet accustomed to the distance, and by running it everyday you'll soon end up injured.
Thanks Richard. You're right, I'm not accustomed to running that distance regularly, but the fact that I can, without discomfort whilst running it, makes me feel like I'm wasting my time running shorter distances. So, do I just plug on, ignoring the ache, or should I get some easy short runs in my legs for a couple of weeks, then go back to this sort of distance and more?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
A combination of the two... not all runs need to be as far as you can manage - most of us only have one long run a week and the rest are shorter distances.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Are you training for a specific distance or just generally increasing mileage. If its for a distance, 10m or Half or Full Mara then it may be an idea to get a training plan, there are plenty available from the great god Google, and this will help add structure to your training to include recovery, tempo, speed and long runs. I'm just coming to the (very) end of a half training schedule and its been ideal for building me up to the (hopefully) right level.

If you haven't any particular goal in mind then why not set one as it will give you something definate to train for and help build up to your desired level be it 10, Half or Full.

Also with regard to stopping the aching legs I have found that after my long runs sitting in a stone cold (not quite progressed to adding ice just yet) for 10 mins as soon as I get in doesn't half help reduce the aching later.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Definately mix your running miles...train so that you don't get bored so do a short run with some sprints/hills, do your normal run and do a longer slower run...and don't follow the same routes!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all. Not sure what I'm training for really. I'd like to do the London Marathon, although I know this takes real training and real commitment, which I'm really struggling to fit in to my life currently, so maybe not this time around.
So thought I'd better start somewhere. I ran a half last weekend, with no training, just took it easy and plodded round in 2h20, but legs were understandably shot Monday and yesterday. Much better today. So I have a level of fitness from other sports.
I've looked at training plans and they seem to assume you're either a complete novice, starting with run/walk for 30 mins, or a regular runner, with regular miles being run every week. I'm neither. If I try to start a training plan which assumes I'm already running regularly, I know it's going to hurt for the first few weeks. Just want to make sure I don't injure myself.
I also know from experience, that I won't get out every other day as expected, so with sporadic runs of distances between 3 and 7 miles will I ever get past the aching legs stage?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Thanks all. Not sure what I'm training for really. I'd like to do the London Marathon, although I know this takes real training and real commitment, which I'm really struggling to fit in to my life currently, so maybe not this time around.
So thought I'd better start somewhere. I ran a half last weekend, with no training, just took it easy and plodded round in 2h20, but legs were understandably shot Monday and yesterday. Much better today. So I have a level of fitness from other sports.
I've looked at training plans and they seem to assume you're either a complete novice, starting with run/walk for 30 mins, or a regular runner, with regular miles being run every week. I'm neither. If I try to start a training plan which assumes I'm already running regularly, I know it's going to hurt for the first few weeks. Just want to make sure I don't injure myself.
I also know from experience, that I won't get out every other day as expected, so with sporadic runs of distances between 3 and 7 miles will I ever get past the aching legs stage?
if you keep at it long enough then you'll adapt to that milage per week eventually...

bear in mind two things:

1) it is very hard to do this and takes a long time
2) if you do persist long enough then you will tend to keep pushing yourself - so you will still get the achy legs

for most marathon training scedules you tend to increase milage so quickly there is no way that you will properly adapt to the massive milages your running - so i definitely think you would risk haivng injuries on such scedules

i really think you should start running regularly first and getting your legs stronger before you have any ideas of starting marathon training scedules

good luck !

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi

I'm new to this running lark and need some advice on how to get into a training plan.

I reasonably fit and can go for a run and comfortably complete 6 or 7 miles, but then my legs will ache for the next 2 or 3 days. How do I get beyond this phase? What is the ache in my legs? Is it lactic acid build up, or damage to muscle fibres? Am I ok to go running on aching legs, or will I risk injury?

If I wait until my legs no longer ache before running again, then the same thing happens again. I feel like I need to run more often so my legs will get used to it, but don't want to risk injury.

Advice appreciated.
Hello mate, i'm in a similar position to you, i've only just started and was getting aching legs, which was preventing me from doing any kind of sustained running but i think it's something you just have to work through, i'm finding it better now after a few weeks though i and can even run on consecutive days now so i'm sure you'll be fine soon enough. I'm assuming you have decent running shoes, but it's definatley worth buying some if you haven't. I didn't at first and did find it helped with the legs aching once i bought a decent pair.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts