Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran 2.5 miles this evening in 30 minutes (and no dogs in the way this time!) I noticed my left knee aching slightly half way through and now its giving me grief when I bend it, go to sit down and walking down stairs, my right leg is fine.

Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this and what I can do to prevent any more aches and pains? I have increased my mileage a bit recently though I always have a good stretch after a run.

Do I need different trainers? should I be doing strength training as well as just running?

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I think the pain might be a reaction to the increase in mileage, I had the same thing myself last year and know how sore and frustrating it is.

I'd suggest taking an extra day or two rest before you next run, perhaps even miss a session for extra recovery.

You might be at your current limit as far as mileage goes, so it might be worthwhile holding the mileage for a week or two to help your body catch up.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That makes sense, I had been used to running 2 miles for a few weeks then suddenly had the urge to do over 5km on Sunday. I dont think my poor short little legs know whats hit them at the moment!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're right I didnt...I know there are some good running stores near me so I'll have chat with them at the weekend.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
certainly worth having a gait analysis, especially as you increase the mileage.

knees can easily start to play up as you increase the miles, I know I can always feel my knees when I push the mileage, but a few easier days and everything is fine again. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts