Runners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just joined...

I do 3 training runs a week and over the past year I've had a few injuries, new ones each time. This weekend I failed to complete a race because of an injury so I am thinking I need to try something different to strengthen up the various supporting muscles in/for my legs and hopefully avoid injury. I am considering joining a gym but can only find the time to go once a week. In the past, before I took up running, I would go to the gym 3+ times and I could feel my strength grow.

So my question is: will going to the gym just 1 time each week be enough to boost these potentially underused but important muscles?

I plan to use the leg extension, leg press, prone leg curl, hip adductor and hip abductor machines to give all areas of my legs a little extra strength.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey there! I am a runner as well and I also train weights. I weigh around 91 kilos and have had my fair share of injuries over the years. Luckily, weight training is scientifically proven to increase musculoskeletal durability, and ultimately prevent some of these high-impact injuries. I train weights 4-5 days a week, but even one day a week with additional mobility exercises will make a world of difference. I have a website about some of this stuff that may help out as well.
Check it out!: www.ltrbetter.com

Best of luck to you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.