Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a while now I have been running once a week at a distance of 5 miles, this is a mileage I feel quite comfortable with. I then decided I need ed to more more regularly in an effort to improve my speed.

I have for the last couple of weeks been going out twice a week running 5 miles each time, hence double the distance, does the 10% rule apply to an individual run, therefore saying I should not increase the run by 5.5 miles (for example), or does in apply to the overall distance each week.

Just wondering as I currently have managed to 'pull' both my calf's and I can only think its the increase in mileage.?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Good question, which maybe the more experienced can help with. Since starting running in January (with a view to doing a 10K, of which I've now done 4) I had settled into a pattern of a couple of mid-week 40 minute runs at comfortable but not slow pace, and a Sunday 10K at a bit below race pace. Was thinking of starting to mix some interval stuff into my midweeks, and starting to extend the length on Sundays using the 10% rule.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Dan,

What do you think then, I would probably keep my midweek running to a couple of nights at around 40 mins each as much due to work etc, but on sunday my times my own, so if I'm extending what has been 10K on Sunday is it OK to extend that single run by 10% of previous weekly totals ?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
admin said:
10% refers to your weekly mileage.

Its generally seen to been a safe rate of increase which will help prevent injury. If you step up your milage to fast its easy to pick up niggles like shin splints or muscle pulls.
That will be why my Calf's have suffered, I have jumped from 5 miles to 10 miles, better planning needed I think.

Thanks

EDIT - I have just re read my initial question and can only apologise for it's construction (It was getting late)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
As Dan says it is 10% of the weekly distance but also do not increase your long run by more than 10%. That is if you did 30 miles last week don't do more than 33 this week and if you did 10 miles last Sunday don't do more than 11 miles this Sunday.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Steve said:
As Dan says it is 10% of the weekly distance but also do not increase your long run by more than 10%. That is if you did 30 miles last week don't do more than 33 this week and if you did 10 miles last Sunday don't do more than 11 miles this Sunday.
Cheers Steve, makes sense I guess.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Granty...

why don't you run different distances? Your body will get very used to running 5 miles every time you run and it may also become a little tedious over time.

How about running 3 at a slightly faster pace or 6 slightly slower, or even 7 miles of mixed pace, ie fartlek.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Hi Granty,

When my legs were only used to doing 3 or 4 miles, I went out one day and ran about 6 and a half, I felt ok straight after, but later on could hardly move, really stiff muscles. I then missed 3 days training as a result.

Everyone is different, I have now built up to 8 or more, but like Trinity (who is very experienced compared to me) says, vary your training session lengths or your body gets too used to your miles.

·
Registered
42 Posts
So let me get this right. I have been trying to get my running routine established so I run three times a week. My usual runs are between 4 and 5 miles.

I always manage once a week, and often twice a week - I am striving for three times a week.

When I run twice a week as opposed to what used to be my usual one. I doubled my distance ( ie. 100% increase ). Now I am going to three times a week I am addind a further 50% - Is this bad....?

On the 10% rule it would take 12 weeks to build from 4miles a week to 12miles ( i.e. 3 x 4 ).

Now if you add to that that I actually want to icrease the distance I run to a 5.5 mile run, thats going to take even more weeks.

Puzzled ...!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thankyou everyone for the replys, I must admit to not having thought about running shorter distances but at a quicker pace, I'll try and mix it up a little when I can run again.

RE: Rkavanagh, I think you are right in what you say, but it sounds like you can / have already regularly run between 8-10 miles a week, therefore you should not be increasing it by more than 1 mile a week (Unless I have not fully understood what has been said) but otherwise, it will take the time you say, but I guess this is the difference in what has happened to me and increasing the training without risk of injury caused by it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts