Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I run loads and can bike a bit however I've never done a duathlon before. I train 4-5 nights a week and would welcome some advice from you guys and gals. I'm thinking of doing the Kendall duathlon at the end of October and wondered if anyone could advise me on a plan please for the next 4-5 weeks.

The race is 2.5mile run/12 mile cycle/2.5 mile run.

Any help or advice appreciated - I'm okay with the run just need specifics that might help me pull it all together.

Thanks a million

Jvjb

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I've never done one myself, but i'd say try linking some sessions together (cycle then run, or vice versa) and practice practice practice those transitions between disciplines probably the only part of the race where you can easily make/lose time without a massive difference in effort exerted!

·
Registered
98 Posts
what are your current times for the 3 parts? Any advice will be based on what you are *currently* capable of...

Secondly, what's your height and weight, thirdly what times would you LIKE to do. Training plans are much easier to design when you have a target. :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Only thing I've learnt on my travels that's worth noting, is cycling is very good at developing the Quad muscles, but not very good at doing the Hamstring. Research is showing that if the hamstring falls below 60% the strength and endurance of the quad, this imbalance will amplify the possibility of pulling and injuring, and especially problems with the knees (but I'll check that).

So get those hamstrings in shape with specific exercises if your cycling is getting fast!

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
definitely do some brick sessions ... cycle then run.... as that transition can take some getting used to as the leg muscles change from one to the other! and over short distances you cant afford to take it easy till it goes away!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just do a couple of runs off the bike. It's your first one so there should be no expectation. I'd just say wait until the last run to push on if you can.

Be careful, duathlon is harder than triathlon! but have fun!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts