Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Quick introduction - been at the running about 2 months. Started doing 2 mile jogs, lately I've upped it to 4 miles. Last night I did it, and I found it...while not exactly easy say, a lot more easy than I had. I was quite comfortable, enough to up the pace for hte last half mile and sprint the last few hundred yards down my road. (When I say sprint, as much of a sprint as I could muster at that point).

I'm just wondering...if I continue to find it comfortable at the 4 miles, should I try and up the pace, or the distance? I'm in two minds as to which would be better...

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Hi and welcome.

My unproffesional opinion:

It depends what you want out of your running. Personally I would up the distance. As you increase the miles your core fitness will improve.

Speed can come later through specific training plans once you decide you need speed for racing at a specific distance.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
up the distance. That will improve your endurance and also your speed over the shorter distances. Distance and miles in the legs is key.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hi there, just be careful to try and avoid injury through overtraining. Once you start getting little niggling injuries, they can take ages to get rid of.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yep, gotta agree with all the other replies. Up the distance, but at the same time listen to your body. If you are struggling on your run then shorten the intended route. When I say struggling I dont mean just being a little bit out of breath or not enjoying running up the hill that you are on. But if the overall feeling is not right and you can't get into a comfortable stride and breathin rhythm then dont be afraid to head for home.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Ye, same as above, what I did when I started was run the new distance maybe 3 or 4 further times just to make sure I was really able to run the distance and that it wasnt just because of weather conditions or other factors, once I was happy I then added on another mile or mile and a half, ran that once a week and did shorter runs for the other 2 runs in the week, continue to do this and slowly your distance increases and your pace will naturally increase as well.
Listen to your body, if your tired after a long run maybe take it easy for the next run you go out. Preventing an injury is much better than recovering from one!

O.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys and gals,

Thanks for all the advice. Haven't actually been out jogging since, as I played 5-a-side the other day, and gave the body a breather.

I think I'll stick to the 4 miles for another couple, then slowly up it. Worry about pace some other time, realistically anyway it is the mileage i want to be doing, I'm not worried about times.

Thanks again for the advice.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Welcome to RF.....the advice given is sound...just don't increase distance too much too quickly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts