Runners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
My husband, who claims to know all there is to know about computers, says 'you shouldn't post on a sticky'. Is this true? No-one else has posted.

Is there sticky etiquette?

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put this sticky here as a general introduction to the beginners forum. If any beginners want to ask any questions could they start a new thread as it keeps things tidy. It also helps when browsing the forum.

Cheers,

Dan

·
Registered
123 Posts
Manda B said:
hi i'm new to the runners forum and would like to know how i put a quote so that people can reply to me pls help!
At the bottom right hand of each post are two tabs one saying "quote" and the other saying "quick". Clicking quote will bring you to the advanced reply menu with the whole post you're quoting from in quote form. If that makes sense.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello eveyone

Nick B said:
At the bottom right hand of each post are two tabs one saying "quote" and the other saying "quick". Clicking quote will bring you to the advanced reply menu with the whole post you're quoting from in quote form. If that makes sense.
I am new to this site I have signed to this forum not for me but for my son who is nine years of age.He is presenting showing very potential trend in athletics, in-fact in the distict that we are in {Enfield Town-London} he may be the fastest nine year old in 50 metre race as this was proven in the district recent meeting.
I am now looking for a running club around my area so I could register him.Could anyone give suggesting as to how to go about locating one for him please.
Thank you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
:d

Hi - I'm fairly new to running and have started developing what I believe is MTSS or shin splints. I began a few months ago with just power walking which I have developed to a 3-4 mile jog, but recently I can hear my right foot slapping on the ground. Very embarrassing, and as much as I try it won't subside. It's usually worse at the start of my jog and decreases as I jog the last mile. I do wear orthotics (both feet) due to flat feet and a slightly longer leg; it is the right foot that is largely the problem (bunion). My left foot is a dream - glides along with a neutral gait and silently - joggers heaven!

My new shoes are stability and motion control so I'd have thought I'd pushed all the right buttons. Is it my dorsiflex thingy that needs strengthening or does someone have another idea? Perhaps my warm up isn't sufficient.

Appreciate any advice you can give me.

Kimbers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Music to run to

hello everyone
I'm fairly new to running and I am finding it almost impossible to run alone!
I was wondering if anyone listening to music whilst running? my brother (exp runner) advised me against it as he says I must listen to my breathing..... what does everyone else think?

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Lots of runners like to listen to music on the move. I like the the time to think and admire my surroundings. Do what works for you - you could try finding a running partner of joining a club.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I don't mind listening to music, it is good if you want an up tempo run. But I don't have the need to listen to my breathing, you should fall in to a natural breathing pattern and if you don't have one try breathing in for 3 and out for 2, or a variation that suits you. Hope this is useful. :d

·
Registered
41 Posts
Having been Nikefied...JUST DO IT. Enjoy it however hard or easy it may be. Long or short...walk, run, eyeballs out...just enjoy each and every moment. Life is short, we were built to run so run for your life!! :d :rolleyes:

·
Registered
180 Posts
i run alone usually in the countryside so i cant listen to music for safety reasons but when its starts getting dark and i have to run on the roads i might give it a go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi want to start a new thread!

Stotty said:
i run alone usually in the countryside so i cant listen to music for safety reasons but when its starts getting dark and i have to run on the roads i might give it a go.
My taining seems to be going backwards!, all of a sudden I keep developing a stitch too painful to run through, and having to walk just when I think I am doing well, as far as I know I am drinking enough, maybe I am not eating breakfast early enough?, I have my first 10k on sunday and am beginning to panic, will be devastated if it happens again. Have no idea also how to start a new thread!, could someone explain to a technophobe how to do this?.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Don't panic!! :)

Firstly, to start a new thread just go to the main home page, decide which topic your thread will belong to and click on that topic.
Top left you will then see 'Start New thread' or something like that... click on that and off you go.

As for the stitch, did you decide to run with music or not?

My gut feeling is that you are over-thinking your breathing and it's therefore not as relaxed as it needs to be.

Just start your run slowly, don't stress about breathing... your body knows what to do and will naturally get the oxygen you need. Pick up your pace very gradually, you'll be fine :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sarsie21 said:
hello everyone
I'm fairly new to running and I am finding it almost impossible to run alone!
I was wondering if anyone listening to music whilst running? my brother (exp runner) advised me against it as he says I must listen to my breathing..... what does everyone else think?

Hi,
I started out listening to music then a few days ago panciked because my battery was flat! I thought' oh god will I be bored with only the passing traiffic and myself to listen t?' I was surprised to find I enjoyed the run just as much and didn't miss the ipod at all.

Apart from that a few weeks back someone came speeding up behind and past me on a bike and because my music was loud I heard nothing. This person was innocent but it made me realise how vulnerable you make yourself when you, in effect, deafen yourself to your environment.

So I think I will sometimes fancy having the music but I will keep it low enough so I can hear what's going on around me...:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts