Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there ALL

Well, I'm in desperate need of some sound advice! I've been running now since January. Did my first 10k a month ago, and I'm planning on doing the Tewksbury half marathon in 3 weeks. However, I been suffering with my back everytime I run over 5 miles or so. I can't say its back pain as such, its more so a fuzzy feeling. Is this just joggers back? If I keep running could I do lasting damage? Before each run I now do around 20 minutes of pilates, followed by stretches and then some serious warming up. Come what may I'm gonna do this half marathon, but the fuzzyness in my back is REALLY getting me down. Has anybody else experienced this? If so, will it eventually go after a while?

Newby

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
hi..

I've never heard of joggers back before, and not sure what you mean by 'fuzzy'. Can you pinpoint the area that's causing you the problem or is it all over your back?

I wouldn't have thought it was too serious if it's allowing you to do pilates and thoroughly stretch with no problem

I'm doing Tewkesbury too... so see you there :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Trinity

I'd say the best way to describe it would be lower back discomfort! Some say that it is just the repetative fud of the road. Some people get it in their knees, others their ankles and me my back. Oh and lucky people don't get it anywhere!

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
newbyrunner said:
I'd say the best way to describe it would be lower back discomfort! Some say that it is just the repetative fud of the road. Some people get it in their knees, others their ankles and me my back. Oh and lucky people don't get it anywhere!
hi Newby could be like you say jarring from the impact are you doing all your running on roads ? could be you need to vary your runs eg grass, beach, maybe a swim or cycle on your easy days.

Another point to consider is are your running shoes coming to the end of their days , over time the soles get compressed and you lose some of the cushioning they once provided.

Posture is important to when you aren't running Try not to slouch on the sofa at home try noy to sit cross legged things like this really help .

I assume that since your in training for tewkesbury that your upping your mileage as well this could also be a contributary factor .

One final thing is to carry as little weight as possible in front ie your stomach as this causes a huge strain on backs.

I hope things improve for you Good luck for the race !

Cheriton

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi

Thanks so much for the sound advice. My shoes are brand new and were fitted in a "proper" running shop. However, being that I'm new to running I think that perhaps its just my body's way of saying "what the hell is going on".

No pain, no gain.

Newby

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
newbyrunner said:
Hi

Thanks so much for the sound advice. My shoes are brand new and were fitted in a "proper" running shop. However, being that I'm new to running I think that perhaps its just my body's way of saying "what the hell is going on".

No pain, no gain.

Newby
AAAHHH the mist has cleared ;)

Take it easy

Good luck at tewkesbury!

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
There was me thinking thinking we had a thread on hairy backs :rolleyes:

What's your running position like newby? head up, not leaning forward at the waist, chest out? Various things like slouching/leaning could be contributing to the discomfort.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts