Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I'm looking at buying a GPS / Smart watch for my running. I have an android phone and im looking for something that...(and i have put in the order i would like)

1) When i look at it it tells "real time "me how fast i'm running (10 min miles etc)
2) Syncs With Strava
3) Able to control Google Music
4) Allows me to read sms /emails

Controlling Google music is not essential as i'm thinking of ditching the phone and using an MP3 player but it would be nice. Same with viewing SMS, not essential but it would be nice.

I am on a bit of a budget so i would say anything under £200 would be ideal (well anything under £100 would be perfect lol)and the longer the battery life the better (i did the Great north run last week in 2hr 30)

I realise it might be difficult to cater for all my requirements, but i am willing to adapt them if necessary.

Thanks for looking

·
Registered
811 Posts
I use a Garmin Forerunner 235 (the 230 is a cheaper version without optical heart rate) and love it. It does everything on your list but might be a bit above your budget.

Have a look at reviews on https://www.dcrainmaker.com/. Garmin, Polar and TomTom will all have good options in your price range that do most or everything that you ask for.

Don't expect to be able to read the content of emails though. The screen is too small so all you'll get is notifications that you got an email and possibly the subject.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Only one to tick all the boxes, according to my knowledge, is Polar M600, as it is Google wear watch, but has some genuine sport's heart inside. Only caveat is it's battery is not as it is in some Garmin or other Polars models. But, it can hold on GPS+music+HR (you do not need a phone with you at all) for some 4-5hrs. Apart from that, it can go as much as 4 days without training sessions at all (and with screen on demand), or up to 2 days with screen on all the time. And, it can be had for less than your planned amount, but not in UK...

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies

will have a look and compare prices / features etc

i think i was a bit optimistic about the sms / emails....if i get notified that would be better

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok i think i have settled on 3 lol

Garmin 220
Polar M200
TomTom Runner 3

Can anyone tell me the differences between the Tomtom 3 Runner / Cardio and music (i have looked at that many specs and reviews im struggling to find a difference, either that or im confusing myself)

Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeh i spotted that, i think im gonna give the notifications a miss to cut down on the price

·
Registered
811 Posts
yeh i spotted that, i think im gonna give the notifications a miss to cut down on the price
The 220 is still a decent watch if you can get it very cheap or free, but it's so old now that it's not worth buying new. You might want to look at second hand options, in which case you may as well look for better watches that would otherwise be out of your budget.

·
Registered
14 Posts
ok i think i have settled on 3 lol

Garmin 220
Polar M200
TomTom Runner 3

Can anyone tell me the differences between the Tomtom 3 Runner / Cardio and music (i have looked at that many specs and reviews im struggling to find a difference, either that or im confusing myself)

Thanks
I've had TomTom runner 3 cardio music, so you can ask whatever you want, I am just not sure what you wanted to ask above... If your question was on the differences between the versions, than the basic version has only GPS, cardio adds HR, and music adds internal memory on the top of it... No smart notifications yet, but they've announced future support. Overall very good watch, and I was very pleased with it...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've had TomTom runner 3 cardio music, so you can ask whatever you want, I am just not sure what you wanted to ask above... If your question was on the differences between the versions, than the basic version has only GPS, cardio adds HR, and music adds internal memory on the top of it... No smart notifications yet, but they've announced future support. Overall very good watch, and I was very pleased with it...

Thanks for that

Im not really interested in the HR side, so im looking for either a runner 3 or runner 3+music

1 - 12 of 12 Posts