Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am new to this site and quite new to running.
In four weeks time I have a fitness test in relation to a job offer and one of the components is a 1.5 mile in 11mins 50 seconds.

At the moment I can complete it in 13 mins 25secs.

I have gone from being a total non runner and began training six weeks ago. I have knocked 3 minutes off my time, however I am starting to struggle now.

I am running 3-4 times a week and timing myself once a week on the 1.5 mile. My other training consists of a longer 2.3 mile run and some sprint interval training (not much though). All of this is done outside on the road.

It is essential I pass this test, as it is very important for me to get the job offer so any tips or advice will be appreciated.

I would also like a realistic answer whether it is possible to knock a minute and a half off my time in the 4 weeks.

Thanks in advance
Jo

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
hmmm.. paramedic ?

it's possible....i think, not ideal of course, your training looks ok.. but you certainly want to do some intervals to get that pace up.

see if you can run 1/2 mile in 3:56 or under, walk/slow run for a couple of minutes.. & repeat 3 times.

1/2 mile may be a bit long to start with 1/4mile in 1:58 or under, walk/slow run for a minute & repeat 6 times.

gain some confidence this week that you can run faster than you really need to and then start increasing the distance of the intervals / reducing the rest period.

you might want to do this a couple of times a week for the next 3 .. probably not more as it should be a very intense effort that will need some quality recovery afterwards.

make sure your legs are well rested for the big day.

there's a danger of getting injured doing this, being new to running and perhaps not having built the strength in your joints etc... but you dont have alot of choice. listen to your body!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that, I will give it a try this week starting from tomorrow. I have had a day off today.
It's hard at the moment because I feel I am not doing enough, yet I don't want to get injured!! Feels as if I can't win!!

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Jo Jo said:
Hi,
I am new to this site and quite new to running.
In four weeks time I have a fitness test in relation to a job offer and one of the components is a 1.5 mile in 11mins 50 seconds.

At the moment I can complete it in 13 mins 25secs.

I have gone from being a total non runner and began training six weeks ago. I have knocked 3 minutes off my time, however I am starting to struggle now.

I am running 3-4 times a week and timing myself once a week on the 1.5 mile. My other training consists of a longer 2.3 mile run and some sprint interval training (not much though). All of this is done outside on the road.

It is essential I pass this test, as it is very important for me to get the job offer so any tips or advice will be appreciated.

I would also like a realistic answer whether it is possible to knock a minute and a half off my time in the 4 weeks.

Thanks in advance
Jo
Hi Jo , It really depends on how much you want this job with only a short time left you don't want to pick up any stupid injuries
If the test is conducted in side that should make it a bit easier ,in addition it'll almost be like a race day for you and that tends to make you run faster .

The biggest hurdle for you really is your own mind Try to visualize yourself actually achieving the time repeatedly picture yourself doing it i'm a big believer in thinking positively so come on JO you can do it !

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey little buddy...... I know how hard you are training and I know you have a strong will that will drive you through it on the day. Your competative streak will kick in and get you through!!
I am tired and hate working nights!:(

Angeleyes x

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well I done the half mile runs today with the break in between.
The first half mile I completed in exactly 3 mins 56.
The second half I stopped at around 2 mins 40 due to my calves feeling as if they were going to explode.
The third half mile I completed in 3 mins 50 secs.

I shall keep on with it, to help increase my speed. I just wish I had started doing this earlier :mad:

Regarding my mind, I do actually believe I will pass the run on the day, but I want to be able to do it prior to the day just in case!!

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Jo Jo said:
Well I done the half mile runs today with the break in between.
The first half mile I completed in exactly 3 mins 56.
The second half I stopped at around 2 mins 40 due to my calves feeling as if they were going to explode.
The third half mile I completed in 3 mins 50 secs.

I shall keep on with it, to help increase my speed. I just wish I had started doing this earlier :mad:

Regarding my mind, I do actually believe I will pass the run on the day, but I want to be able to do it prior to the day just in case!!
One other thing jo ,if you do get any niggles or soreness put ice on the affected area straight after training it works wonders!

Good luck we're all behind you !;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts