Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

My name is john, and I have just found out I have a place in the london marathon.
Only thing is Im fifteen stone and totally unfit. I dont smoke but I do drink a bit hence the the beer belly. I applied in June when I started to jog to lose weight . But I didnt think That I would be chosen. Anyway I lost two stone and Got up to a three mile run in thirty mins,but then I got a groan strain and stopped training.I then proceded to put back on the weight I lost. What I wanted, was to ask the more experienced runners if they think that I could be fit enough to run the marathon if I start traing now. I am 43 by the way and prepared to give everything, and train hard to do this.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
johnnyb said:
I am 43 by the way and prepared to give everything, and train hard to do this.
Hello and welcome johnnyb :)

I think that last bit says it all. The Marathon is some 5 months away, right?
With a sensible training plan I believe you can do it.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Johnnyb :)

As Fulmar said, I'm sure you can complete the marathon, just get a decent training plan, work hard and keep at it

A couple of suggestions are probably to get some decent running shoes, if you haven't already, go for distance rather than speed, and try to build up your mileage slowly to avoid injury.

Anyway, well done for losing 2 stone, even if it did come back! Losing weight's really hard to do.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Welcome to the forum Johnny

Congratulations in getting in the FLM.

Good luck with your training and like the others have said get a good training plan and start getting some base mileage in now, you will be able to do it, and who knows you might get the bug and start doing other races as a result of this, if anything they certainly keep you motivated...

Keep us posted on how you get on.

TT

1 - 4 of 4 Posts