Runners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Thinking of entering a 10k which is at the end of september 21st. However i don't know if i am being too optimistic. I have been running on and off for about 2 months now if that what you call it not running for long, mainly been running on the treadmill and outside occassionally. Am looking to move to outside running now i have found someone to run with. Problem is this week i have only been doing spurts of 10 minutes when at the gym last week i did manage 7k one night and 9 k another but i know its easier on a treadmill.

My question is do you think from now till the end of september i have enough time to traing properly for a 10k or not? My friend who is going to start running with me is new to running so baring that in mind is it too much to soon. Would i be able to do myself justice running a 10k considering i want to do it in less than an hour if i do it.

Any advice will be much appreciated !!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
If you have already run a 7K and a 9K then it sounds like you will be more than prepared by the end of September.

Get outside (enjoy the nice weather) and try a few shorter runs at a slightly quicker pace than you would normally run, combine this with a few of your normal runs as well.

And ...... if you miss an hour - so what, at least you have a time to aim to beat for the next one ! :d

Happy training.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
If you can run 7 or 9k on a treadmill then 10k won't be a problem :)

In terms of breaking the 1hr barrier, that very much depends on how fast you're running at the moment! How long did your 7k & 9k runs take?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lets bear in mind here i have only ran 7k and 9k once on the treadmill for the first time last week. I am worried about whether they were a one off and if will be able to manage them again. On average it takes me about 10 mins to run a mile. The 7 k on the treadmill took me 39 mins and the 9k took me 50 mins. Ideally i would like to run 10km in about 55 mins at the least but less would be even better. I think i am more of a plodder though.

Guess need to get out into the outdoors did start a beginners running at the gym but can only do it every other week due to work. ideally would like to join the group that go running for an hour but bit concerned about having the stamina.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Vonzy, I think you underestimate how far you have already come, running a 7K and a 9K are very unlikely to be 'one off' things, and the only real concern for you will be how quick you can manage the distance not 'will I make the distance'.

Get together with that running group down the gyn - you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Vonzy am sure you'll be fine. :)

I'm doing my first 10k this Thursday, I'm dreading it. I know I can run the distance it's the speed with me. This last week I've ran terrible due to being stressed. I'm getting stressed about going on my normal Monday night club run tonight. God I'm even getting nervous typing this. :(

Anyway if I manage it I'm sure anyone can. I will let you know.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hi Vonzy

As this is your first race, do you really need to put yourself under the extra pressure of aiming for a good time? Why not treat it as a training run for your next 10K - just amble round at a comfortable pace with your friend and enjoy it. Then next time, you can really go for it and amaze everyone by knocking chunks off your PB:d
That's my plan anyway...;)

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
It won't have been a one-off Vonzy... I had the same fear when I ran my first 10k, I'd never ran 10k so forced myself to run a 10k on the treadmill, I struggled (partially from pure boredom of staring at a wall) but managed it in 55min. When the race came around I was still nervous about it but finished in 45:49! Result! :d

The event itself will help you along - it's incredible what a cheering crowd and having other runners around you can do!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies and votes of confidence. I didn't run far tonight just did a 15 minute session on the treadmill treated today as a crosstraining day. Only ran 2.85km in that 15 minutes which is pants really - i tried run faster than normal at speed of 11 with spurts of 13 and 14 but didnt seem do much good distance wise. Think i may take plunge and enter the 10k race tomoz, don't know if mate be doing it so going enter alone.

The 10k race is either on a saturday or sunday, i would normally opt for the sunday. They are both at same place but the saturday one has 2000 places and the sunday 2750. In light of that tempted to go for the saturday one as less people - what do you peeps think. Will that make difference less people. I imagine these races to be irriatating with people holding you back if you want to sprint ahead or something - wishful thinking lol be to knackered to sprint ahead. Tomorrow i am aiming for a short run after work 2 miles and then will tackle 7k on the treadmill tomorrow night, bit iffy running longer distances on my own at mo.

Sorry to ramble on folks !!!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
To be honest I don't think you'd really notice much difference between 2000 & 2750, I've only ever really noticed hwne there's big differences in field numbers (e.g. 80 entrants, Vs 400 entrants, Vs 3000 entrants).

A bigger event will probably cater for more runners too, so the difference really will be marginal. If you'd feel more comfortable running on Sunday do that - ignore the number of entrants!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies. I have been slacking the last week or so head is somewhere else. However i am going to try and get back on track tonight. I am going to see if i can run 7k at least at the gym, watch this space. Bit worried wether i will be able to achieve that seeming as its 2 weeks since i ran 7k and week and half since ran 9k, since then only done few 10 minute spurts of jogging.

Watch this space i will see how it goes !!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts