Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I hope someone can give me some advice. I would like to loose some weight and tone up as I would like to get pregnant this year.
My husband and I have gone jogging before which I enjoy but I do have problems controlling me breathing. I know that there must be some techniques that people use.
Can anyone recommend anything?

Thanks a lot
Helen

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's difficult to advise on breathing but I would try to get a rhythm with your feet, so breath in (left step, right step), out (left step, right step) and so on. If you are running slower you could try in (four steps), out (four steps).

·
Registered
104 Posts
I read Paula Radcliffe's autobiography recently and she said that when she's struggling she counts to 100 in her head 3 times, by which time she has covered 1 mile. I tried it and found it took my mind off my heavy breathing. A lot of people say that listening to music while you run helps too...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just breath how or when I can. During races when I'm pushing myself, I'll normally find that losing all sense of dignity helps clear the passageways (read that as basically covering myself head to toe in expelled snot and flob!).

MY advice would be not to think to hard about actual technique, just don't try and pretend that you're not huffing and puffing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If I'm going slowly I breathe on every 3rd step but usually it's every 2. Another tip is if you have a stitch then breathe out hard on the opposite foot from the side of the stitch.

e.g. Stitch on left side, breathe out hard on right foot strike. Also breathe in on right foot strike.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The count to 100 trick works in a race where you're struggling. I did it at Loch Ness marathon for about 10K. Not the best time I've had...

Put your leg leg in.....your left leg out...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Doesn't Paula do it backwards? (counting that is)

One word of advice though... PLease don't grunt! Grunting is annoying because it's normally a sign that I'm going to be overtaken by a 3 million year old man dressed in his club shirt from the 1820's!

·
Registered
33 Posts
don't think too hard, and remember, if you are going fast you should be gasping!
as a beginner though, try to run at about conversational pace - so you should be able to chat fairly comfortably to a friend all the way round.

·
Registered
220 Posts
As a beginner, if you find it difficult to "control your breathing" then it means you're going too fast. The key to developing endurance is to run very slowly for gradually longer and longer. If you can't have a conversation, then you're running too fast. Slow down, even if it feels odd and awkward. All you'll achieve by running too fast is get knackered, dispirited, and give up.

·
Registered
67 Posts
That stitch thing works very well.

If I tried to count to 100 three times whilst running I'd probably lose track and get distracted, which is probably the point anyway.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I find I do the counting bit without noticing. Quite often I'll be "snapping out of it" and find I'm going "68, 69.." without realising.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Something I discoverd at the week-end which you should never ever do is run while listening to Jack Dee live at the Apollo, or I'm sorry I haven't a clue. I found it was really hard to run and laugh out loud at the same time. Plus, other runners and cyclists must have thought I was seriously deranged...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Breathing

Hi i have found that breathing through my nose only enables me to not over do it and clear my airways at the same time, also i do find if i go running with a friend and hold a conversation whilst running it stops me from running to hard and my breathing seems to settle because of this :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Paul said:
Hi i have found that breathing through my nose only enables me to not over do it and clear my airways at the same time, also i do find if i go running with a friend and hold a conversation whilst running it stops me from running to hard and my breathing seems to settle because of this :)

Excellent advice Paul.

For more on nasal breathing, see the below article - scroll about a third of the way down the page to the section entitled "Hold Your Breath" (although do take the time to read the whole article as well)

http://www.tullyrunners.com/Articles/RaucciArticle.htm

1 - 20 of 20 Posts