Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still new to running, although completed a 10k and have ran HM in training a couple of times - Got my first HM booked Oxford in October.

Anyhow had done 5 and 6 milers through the week and after a rest day yesterday decided on a long run which took me for a PB of 2.5 hours covering over 16 miles. It was for over an hour in rain and strong winds which soaked my t-shirt and clung to me, and my feet were soaking and wrinkled - no problem with that, just so chuffed i had ran for so long.

But at the end i was in desperate need of a banana and water, so thought i'm probably missing something and i've heard about these gels you can take.

At this distance / duration do you think i would benefit from them, and if so which ones are best?

I've surprised myself at the distance i've covered in this mornings run, so am thinking to maintain and increase the long runs slowly and train for a marathon in spring and let my HM on October be part of the training.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Gels are only of any use if you're going to be running for over an hour and a half, but that's very rough and you can run a lot longer than that without them.

The best ones are the ones that work for you. This may not be any of them. You don't need them, you can use normal food instead. Or energy drinks. Everyone is different and you really just have to experiment to find what works best for you.

Make sure you read the instructions and pay particular attention to the limit on how many you can take in an hour and whether you need to have water at the same time. If you are also using energy drinks then those should be counted as a gel. Failure to pay attention to this can result in the emergency redecorating of your pants a fetching shade of brown.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I don't like the sound of that, carrying a water bottle now appeals more to me - think i'll try that first and see how it goes.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Thank you, I don't like the sound of that, carrying a water bottle now appeals more to me - think i'll try that first and see how it goes.
To be fair, I exaggerated it a bit. Most people are fine on gels and only have ill effects if they take too many too quickly. The same thing can happen with energy drinks.

Also, don't mix up hydration and fueling. You'd still need to carry water either way, and if you're doing a long enough run you're still going to need more than just water.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, i now have a plan in place for when i do these long runs, carry water bottle (although my route is a circuit so i can leave it at various places and not have to carry it), have a few jelly babies in my pocket to nibble should i feel the need to do so, and i have purchased a whey protein shake to take after the run - thought i would give this try as a quick n convenient way to replenish the protein. I'll see how it goes and adapt accordingly. Thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts