Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any and all advice on making the transition from running mostly on a treadmill to running more regularly outdoors, be it road or park would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't run further than 2.6k yet but I'm going to try 3 this week.

I still feel very self-conscious running in public. Is that unusual? I can't block out the world and get into my head the way I can on the treadmill, I'm too busy looking at people, cars etc. and I'm sure it slows me down and don't seem to be able to get into a rhythm.

:worried:

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Good luck with it. Try running with incline on the treadmill as this replicates outdoors better.

I always find when running outside after a few days on the treadmill that I feel really heavy footed for a few miles. And I still feel self concious :) like I am a fraud pretending to be a runner.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I still feel slightly self concious at times when I run, usually its when I havent been out for a few days or am feeling a crap for some reason. Most of the time though I dont give a sod and just get out there and go for it, not caring if other people are watching.

I've never liked treadmill running much either, if felt like I was running to nowhere with no purpose and was so boring, the great outdoors is much better and great for the soul!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels self-conscious and, just as you said Hrun, like a fraud!
I'll try the incline and once outside hopefully not care so much about other people looking at me, like Liz3yy said.
I can imagine how good it will be run without worrying on one of these gorgeous crisp autumn mornings.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I actually love running outdoors and around people, and find it really motivating. I think it's because I feel proud of myself for getting out there and exercising, and I love darting about and feeling all athletic and such, hehe. My favourite run ever was the first time I ran through Newcastle city centre, through all the busy shopping streets and crowds of people on a sunny Saturday afternoon... felt great :)

(I think at the end of the day it boils down to me being rather vain, and being able to fool myself into thinking I look good when I'm running, hehe.)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't been running long enough to feel as confident as you essell, I just feel like that numpty whose earphones fall out, laces come undone, doing it all wrong etc!

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Hehe. I thud round Paignton whilst runners spring past me like gazelles. At least that is how it looks in my head.

I guess reality is I am on mile 7 when they might be only doing a couple of miles :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't imagine doing 7 miles at the moment, hopefully it won't be too long until I get there though!

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Thats good going. The hardest thing for me was getting to continuous running. Once there the temptation to overdo it caused some problems, but I just keep building steadily.

You will get there.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Aye, definitely. I only started running about 3/4 months ago myself, and it's surprising how quickly the progress comes, so long as you're out fairly regularly. Keep it up and it's all good :)

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I started in August and am only just getting to 2 miles! :rolleyes:
When I started running, I struggled to do 3 miles for the first couple of months, and I was already pretty fit after 2 years of hardcore biking. It just takes time for your legs to get used to it. It took me 6 months before I felt comfortable running and able to start adding serious mileage. It's just an initial hurdle you need to get over and it becomes easier with time. But I would recommend getting off any treadmill as soon as possible and hit the road. Don't be self conscious. Most people won't be looking at you and making fun of you. Just stick your headphones on, blast some music and screen out everyone else. I don't really notice people when I'm out running, unless they are in my way :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
In terms of being self conscious, I'm 6ft 3, nearly 21 stone and have a huge mop of curly hair that looks near enough an afro, so I do actually stand out! I'm paranoid about looking like a fat get when running, so have found doing it first thing is easiest. I need to leave the house for 7am on a morning, so get up at 5.45 and out the house for 6am, and run for half an hour before coming home. At that time of the morning nobody is about. On a 2.5 mile run I'll maybe pass one or two lads coming home from a nightshift, where the last thing on their mind is laughing at someone, and then maybe the odd car with bleary eyed workers on early starts. In total I'd wager that no more than 15 people will see me in total, I'll have eye contact with maybe 2 at the most.

As for motivation, once you're out there in the big wide world that's all the motivation you should need. The feel of fresh air in your lungs, the sounds and feel of bumpy pavements etc, the different things to look at, it's brilliant. Although I didn't start off running on a treadmill (just hit the roads straight away), I could never imagine running on one now. Instead of thinking about it too much, just get yourself out and do it one morning/night. If you enjoy it, do it again the next night and so on, if you don't, then just do it once a week and build up from there as long as you're enjoying it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Matilda you will find that the distractions outside are a positive I think. I made the change about 6 weeks ago and found that the level of mental stimulation running outside was so great that I had no idea I'd run for 25 minutes. Inside on the treadmill I had hated every second of the 15 minutes max I used to run continually for and wanted to hurt things after about 3 minutes.

I think the thing to consider about feeling self conscious is - what do I think when I see a runner. I think for most people the answer is b*gger all, they are just an unremarkable anonymous part of the make up of a street. Like human wood chip.

In the unusual event that anybody takes paticular interest in you they will be thinking

A) Shes faster and fitter than me the bitch
B) Excellent, I run faster than her therefore I like her
c) Runners are mental I could never do that, I must hang my head in shame and eat biscuits

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
In the unusual event that anybody takes paticular interest in you they will be thinking

c) Runners are mental I could never do that, I must hang my head in shame and eat biscuits

Or they think "phoar, look at his/her nice toned butt in those lycra shorts" ;)

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
The more you get out the more comfortable you will feel Matilda.:)

I did some speed work on the treadmill recently and then went immediately outside to complete my mileage.

My eyeballs were bouncing completely out of sync with the rest of my body for about a mile and my legs felt like they were still running on the treadmill surface. A really strange sensation it was, I won't be doing that again.:lol:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
... so have found doing it first thing is easiest. I need to leave the house for 7am on a morning, so get up at 5.45 and out the house for 6am, and run for half an hour before coming home. At that time of the morning nobody is about..
I think an early morning run is a good idea. I know i feel better after a run, but when I wake up I convince myself it'll make me really tired for work! I think I'll go for a run tomorrow morning and if I am tired then I don't have anything else to do all day anyway!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The more you get out the more comfortable you will feel Matilda.:)

I did some speed work on the treadmill recently and then went immediately outside to complete my mileage.

My eyeballs were bouncing completely out of sync with the rest of my body for about a mile and my legs felt like they were still running on the treadmill surface. A really strange sensation it was, I won't be doing that again.:lol:
The eyeball thing sounds really weird!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I'll remember that! I'll be going for a run outside tomorrow I think.
:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts