Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

Its a little embarrasing but I'm sure others suffer from it as well.

I have been suffering from bad guts on runs recently because I have been upping my mileage and quickening my pace. Generally about half way round the run I get stomach pains from wind and general loosening of bowels (not fun). Basically i get the sh*ts.

Is there anything out there i can take or do to prevent this happening on my run?

Please help.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
I read in the runnersworld magazine this month that it can be down to your food intake and what your eating, I think they recommend eating more fibre rich foods....that might help to erm, make it more solid?

O.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I thought that may make it worse, fibre rich goes through you quicker.

Have you thought about taking imodium before a run, other than that i would visit the doctors, because you should not get it everytime you go for a run..

As O. said it could be down to your diet and what you eating just before.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Maybe it wasnt fibre.....I will need to read the article again :)

They were more talking about what to eat before a race and that your diet should change up to 48 hours before your race so that you are able to run to your best ability without having to stop for a loo break.
Maybe this wouldnt be suitable for you since its every run, not under race conditions. A visit to the doc may be an idea as Leece said...

O.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
i quite offten get wind whilst running, but ive been able to spot that this only tends to happen after ive had a cup-a-soup

what sort of times do you run? morning, evening etc?

my first suggest would be to look at what your eating up to 12 hours before you run

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice so far.

I usually run in the evening around 7pm. Usually i have a sandwich for lunch and a few bits to keep me going in the afternoon. I think it must be that I have good intestinal movement or weak intestines for that matter. I only suffer from this when pushing myself running. It must be all that bouncing!!

I thought about imodium but taking that every time i run (3 times a week) probably wouldn't be good for me.

I may, as suggested, pay a visit to Doc.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Lol....I do that and it still happens...i think a cork is in order.
hmm.. im not even going to risk googling it for an amusing image

good luck with getting it sorted though

1 - 9 of 9 Posts