Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone advise on a good strategy to lose weight while continuing to improve?

I am running again after a break of a few months but run out of steam after 6 miles - i am also trying to shed some weight by dieting. The combination is working well but i cannot get beyond 6 miles - should i be eating specific foods for endurance?

Is there a healthy runners diet i should follow?

Please advise.:confused:

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I know your dilemma... wanting to maximise weightloss but also maximising the effects of your training; the two typically require a different nutritional intake.

I don't think there's a specific diet as such that you should follow, but there's a world of information out there about the best kind of foods to be eating! The main areas I would focus on are getting enough complex carbs (wholemeal bread, porridge, Pasta, Jacket Spuds etc) to give you slow burning energy to fuel your long runs, and protein (chicken, turkey, fish etc..) to help the recovery and repair of your muscles. Obviously then you need as much fruit and veg as possible to give you vitamins and minerals for general healthy living.

Try to make sure you're not depriving yourself of energy in an attempt to lose weight; with a sensible diet and regular training the weight will soon come off. To reach your 6+ mile goal, maybe try implementing a run/walk strategy? Make sure you're not trying to beat your 6 miles barrier everytime you go out and run, you'll probably find that 2 days running 3 miles will improve your fitness/endurance better than a day of 6 miles and a day of rest!

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Also,just to add to what Richard just said. Run your six miles at a comfortable pace to maximise your fat burning. Sorry if this is obvious but steer clear of saturated fats in foods, eat the correct portion sizes at meal times and don't have to large a meal to soon before bed time. Don't skip meals.
I haven't seen the book myself but Anita bean has a recipe book designed specifically for people that excercise regularly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts