Runners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Myself and a group of friends/family enter events frequently as a group.

None of us are or ever have been a member of a club.

We are considering forming a club for a number of reasons but don't really know where to start.

I know that several of you forumites are quite deeply involved with your clubs and wondered whether any of you could point us in the right direction with respect to which association we should approach and any criteria that need to be met?

And anything else you can think of!:d

·
Registered
272 Posts
I think you would need to go through your region (North/Midlands/South) if in England or Welsh/Scottish Athletics otherwise? The contact details can be found on ukathletics.net and follow the Links section through to Domestic Associations?
That should give you a start?

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Give HF the advice he needs people.

I want to join his club..........

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have contacted uk athletics (thanks Sensible) still waiting for a reply.

The more the merrier Dave.:d

probably more likely the "b" team Steve.:d

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
An update............

Everything is finally coming together now.

Firstly, in April, we all got together and sorted out the paperwork and club responsibilities in order to apply to UK Athletics for affiliation.

We decided to call ourselves Spitfire Running Club as we all live very close to an airfield that played an important role in WWI & WWII, Spitfire Squadrons were based here during the battle of Britain.

The Airfield is now a well used country park but you can still see evidence of tet turrets and pill boxes dotted around the area.

That was the first step.

Next we decided to design our own kit which you can see below, again the colours and design are relevant to the spitfire badge, with the addition of the red and black stripes that you can see.

We received this recently, it was made by Ron Hill's associated textile company.

We are really pleased with the result and will be parading it for the first time as a team at the Southend 10 k classic this Sunday.

Finally the last piece of the jigsaw fell into place last Friday when we received confirmation from UK Athletics that our application for affiliation had been approved. :d We will be receiving our welcome pack shortly.

Thanks for the advice received on here, it was a great help.

Me a Chairman, what must they be thinking of :lol:

P1010001.jpg P1010002.jpg

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
cool... didn't know anything about this, but well done...hope to see some spitfires at races over here some day ;)

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Nce one HF

First I'd heard of this - do you have many members? Advertising locally?

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks for the positive comments folks.

We need more chairs in here.:lol:

At the moment Badz we only have 8 members as we are the group that got the wheels in motion. We have restricted ourselves to only 12 members initially but we do intend to look in to increasing this at some time in the not to distant future.

We've retricted the numbers deliberately as this is the advice we were given by the organisation when putting together our club constitution, in order to protect our current commitee members positions.

Already we have had interest from other potential members, friends of friends etc.

It's all new to us right now and none of us have ever been members of a running club in the past. We are enjoying the experience. It's been good meeting up with each other etc. Great fun.

We even had a club photo shoot over the old airfield last weekend and got a 5 mile stop/ start run in as a group at the same time.Our levels vary but it was good to run the distance together having a laugh on the way.

We are gaining a bit more structure as we go, group training etc.

I may well be asking for your advice on matters in the future Steve, if that's alright with you.:d

P1010072.jpg

P1010102.jpg

P1010125.jpg

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think you would need to go through your region (North/Midlands/South) if in England or Welsh/Scottish Athletics otherwise? The contact details can be found on ukathletics.net and follow the Links section through to Domestic Associations?
That should give you a start?
That's where I'd start. Depends how big your expecting the club to be.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Thanks for the positive comments folks.

We need more chairs in here.:lol:

At the moment Badz we only have 8 members as we are the group that got the wheels in motion. We have restricted ourselves to only 12 members initially but we do intend to look in to increasing this at some time in the not to distant future.

We've retricted the numbers deliberately as this is the advice we were given by the organisation when putting together our club constitution, in order to protect our current commitee members positions.

Already we have had interest from other potential members, friends of friends etc.

It's all new to us right now and none of us have ever been members of a running club in the past. We are enjoying the experience. It's been good meeting up with each other etc. Great fun.

We even had a club photo shoot over the old airfield last weekend and got a 5 mile stop/ start run in as a group at the same time.Our levels vary but it was good to run the distance together having a laugh on the way.

We are gaining a bit more structure as we go, group training etc.

I may well be asking for your advice on matters in the future Steve, if that's alright with you.:d

View attachment 660

View attachment 658

View attachment 659

hmm small but perfectly formed :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts