Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I am 16 and I used to do a bit of running when I was younger, but I had to stop due to a condition which affected my knees. I have now recovered and would love to start running. I was just wondering - how long should I go for if I'm just starting out, and how often? Also, Over how long should I build up the amount of running I do?

The other thing is - I just can't seem to get myself doing it. I usually go to the gym and use the treadmill.. but I am a student and it is expensive. Whenever I do venture out, I just seem to loose hope and walk the rest of the way!!! Maybe it's just because I haven't done it in a while... I don't know...

Anyways, any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)
Dee.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Welcome to the forum Dee

The most important thing when you start running is to enjoy it.... if you don't enjoy it then there's no point.

What is your motivation to run?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My motivation is the feeling of being free. &the beneifits that goes along with it.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi Dee

Welcome to RF.

Maybe you are setting off too quickly, just because you are running doesn't mean you have to go everywhere at break neck speed, providing that is what you are doing :d

Set off slowly and like Trin says try to enjoy it, it takes time to get used but the benefits are brilliant.

Hope you keep motivated.

TT :d

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Indeedy... just head out for a jog at a pace where you can still hold conversation (if you can't speak full sentences without gasping for air then you're going too quick for a steady jog!) Once you know what sort of runs you're comfortable with you can start looking at a training program which will help you build up both your speed and distance :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts