Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I'm new to runner's forum and this is officially my first post! I love running and have been running consistantly for about 3 years now. I took the plunge and decided to do the 2009 london marathon running for Mencap. For the last 5 weeks I have started doing 3 runs a week, 1 speed 5k, 1 10k and 1 13 miler. I had been doing well and feeling good, I was in a 10 mile cross country race 2 weeks ago and felt I did a good time and was pleased with my performance.

Now, last week I started feeling really lethargic, but continued running and last friday I did a really fast 10k in the evening and then a 13 miler the next morning. During my long run I started to get a pain in the outer side of my left knee, I carried on and when I got home my knee was painful for the rest of the day. The next day I felt really worn out but the knee felt better. On monday I taught aerobics and felt ok, but this week has been a complete struggle for me. I didnt run on tuesday, managed to run yesterday (10k) but the knee started to hurt again. I don't know what to do, I feel really worn out and am worried about my knee. I have a 10 mile race on sunday but am thinking to skip it and have a whole week off running alltogether. I feel really crap that I didnt have the energy to run this week and know I'll be disappointed not to race on sunday, but Im worried that unless I rest the knee it will get worse. I want to continue training for the marathon and do a great time, but right now I'm scared that I've lost my motivation. Ay ideas why I feel so worn out?

Please could anyone advise me what they think I should do? any kind words of encouragement or empathy would be greatly received.

Cheers!!
C :huh:

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
hello and welcome...

tbh.. i think you should skip the race and rest... it sounds like your burning out and just need to re-coup.. there is always more races and if your goal is the 2009 marathon.. everything up to that point should almost be used a checkpoint to see how your training is progressing.

it would also prob be worth booking for a sports massage type thing just to help keep everything supple

·
Banned
1,167 Posts
How about doing some swimming? It will give your knee a rest but keep your cardio fitness going. :p

·
Registered
152 Posts
I agree with beasty. Give the race a miss and get some rest. The temptation may be to push on and keep on keeping on but it is just as likely that you will aggrevate your knee and spend three times as long recovering from injury. Listen to your body, the pain in your knee is your body telling you to ease up for a bit. On Sunday lock your running shoes in a cupboard out of site and let your body recover.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I agree with the others, it sounds like you need some rest.

Also, you mentioned you did the 13-miler the day after a 10km run. As your running three times a week, it might be worthwhile having a rest day in between runs to give you legs a rest day.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
It may be a bit of a wild stab get some ITB (Illiotibial Band) stretches in to help stop the pain coming back. In fact, if you don't already stretch, it'd be worth looking into getting into a routine of stretching :)

try crossing your legs whilst standing (i.e. stand with feet next to each other, right foot on the left, left foot on the right) and then gentle lean down and reach towards your toes, you should feel a gentle stretch along the outside of the knee... just check google and i'm sure you'll find pictures if you need them :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for all your advice, it seems that the tiredness was down to 'woman trouble' and Ive been doing a bit of cross training, feel a lot better, had a good massage today and the pain in my knee seems to have gone (fingers crossed!!) also been following your advice and doing loads of stretching!!

Thanks again!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts