Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd start by saying hi to everyone. I've read a few posts and thought I'd ask for a little advice. No worries if this has been brought up before, just tell me to look else where.

I've just started training for the sheffield half at the end of april. I made my first run yesterday which was disappointing. I've suffered asthma when I was younger and only suffer now when Its high pollen and the hay fever kicks in. but on my run yesterday the cold air and the wind chill wiped me out in minutes. I was hoping to run two lengths of the humber bridge but got caught out by the wind. I walked and ran some of it against the wind but managed the run back which was about a mile and a half from my start and finish points.

Does anyone suffer with asthma particularly under these conditions. I dont have a regular prescription and would rather not go to the doc if I can help it. I've read somewhere a face mask may help. I'm not letting it beat me.

Thanks all

Nick

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Hi Nick. I'm afraid I can't advise as to the asthma side of things; but surely finding a less exposed place to run would benefit you for starters? (can you get more exposed than the Humber Bridge?). ;) Luckily for me, I've never had to contend with the same problems that you have to, but in strong winds I too find breathing efficiently can be a problem, and wherever possible I'll try and choose a more sheltered running route. :embarrassed:

Good luck.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have asthma that I think was brought on by running in severe cold for about an hour and a half a couple of years ago. It only starts when I'm running, never any other time, so on a day to day basis it's non-existent. I never even knew I had it, it was friend that heard me wheezing and told me it was asthma - I actually thought I had a chest infection. Anyway, the doctor gave me a ventolin blue inhaler which I take 2-3 puffs of BEFORE I run and that works perfectly for me and the symptoms disappear, and I don't need to top-up after that, so I don't need to take it with me. It's no fun trying to run with asthma though, you can't get the oxygen into your lungs and it just brings you to a stand-still. I can't run more than a mile without it, regardless of weather conditions. If your asthma is similar to mine then I wouldn't see it as a problem trying an inhaler before you run. It's made a massive difference for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the reply's. yes I guess the humber bridge is quite exposed I'll find another route and maybe wait till the weather fares up abit before the bridge run again.
I take your advice on board rob and go to the docs for an inhaler. and probably stick to the gym till I do. I dont have a problem in the gym.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Similar to myself... well when I started running anyways! I was diagnosed as having exercise induced asthma, and given a blue inhaler jobby to take 2 puffs of before excercising which sorted the problem completely. As my fitness progressed I found that I needed it less as less as no longer use one nowadays.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts