Runners Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Hi Telmadee.
I've been reading Bob Glovers book"The competetive runners handbook" (believe me though I aint at the standard that the title suggests)!
Anyway,there is a page in there which speaks about certain complaints runners suffer from.
A couple of bits of info that you may be interested in are;
Taking an antidiarrheal medication before running may help prevent the post run problem.
Stomach distress is his most convincing sign of overtraining.
An exceptionally hard run or race,a long tiring run,or sudden increases in training may cause the trots.(his words not mine).
Dehydration may also be a factor.
I remember that you said that your husband only gets a chance to run in the morning but he does also suggest that running at another time of day could solve the problem.
Finally, he states that it may well be caused by parasitic infection.
I hope this info is of some use to you.
:)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thank you so much for that Hotfoot, I've read all that to him just now, and so he said the next run he will run evening time then instead, ive promised I'l take the 'kick me' sign off his back if he does lol, (joking)I will let you know how he gets on, Thanks again
Love Dawn

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Just wanted to tell you the good news lol, Meg has been trying to eliminate things to see if he can suss out whats causing these runs (the sloppy kind not healthy) yesterday he was going to try running at evening instead of first thing, also he drinks decaf at home but when we visit family if they dont drink decaf he still has a drink there and on SUndays we visit but this time we took hotfoots advise he didnt have a warm drink at anyones only water anyway he was out running (did almost 7 miles) he never got any tummy pains and didnt have to do a toilet dash when he returned, so we know maybe that its either the caffiene or early morning runs that could be causing it, so next time he is going to try a night run again but drink hot drinks as normal through the day, to see if it changes. Thanks agian everyone for their advise, this site has become a bible in this household!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Not that we are taking an unhealthy interest in your OHs bowel movements......at least we haven't asks for samplesto be sent off for analysis.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Steady Edwina said:
Not that we are taking an unhealthy interest in your OHs bowel movements......at least we haven't asks for samplesto be sent off for analysis.

LMAO Edwina I couldnt if i had wanted to he dashes in the house/bushes (sniggers) and goes so fast, i dont even get a chance to ask how it went, the run not the runs lol, but i am hopefully that we coudl have sussed it, he seemed so much happier last night after it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Just wanted to update you all, we seem to have sussed it, he has now started running evenings and no need for the toilet at any point, YAY!!! thanks for all your help everyone. btw, hes upto 8 and half miles now ;)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
so sorry to hear about your knees Edwina, its funny cos the last few days Meg has ben complaining about a pain at the side of his knee, I said i knew i had read something on here about the knee pain, and so Dr Dawn started with his diagnosis, I read all about the ITBS on a link that someone had put on the post too, and i think he may be suffering with this, im afraid the 'i told you so' side of me came out *slaps own wrists* cos i told him he was pushing himself too hard. So i had to play physio, and lay him on the floor and help him do the excercies that were suggested, (trying to get him into the pigeon pose you suggested was hilarious, so we did some others where i gently worked his muscles for him, was nice to feel useful again lol. So he is going to do these excercises daily to try loosen/strengthen it up.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Hi Telmadee.
What you have said about the pain on the outside of the knee sounds similar to a problem that I suffered with for a while.I couldn't work out what was causing the problem.then I read about how the camber in the road or on the pavement can cause problems with tendons etc.
I had been running a regular route for quite some time and it was only when I read the article that I paid attention to how the bad camber was.
I didn't run this route as frequently from that point and swapped it for a more consistantly flat surface through my local country park.The problem cleared up within a matter of weeks.
Just thought I'd share that with you!:)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
thanks so much Hot foot, I will tell him that cos he does run the same route everytime, (only so I know where he is with him running alone, and if he was late back i can go out and find him), but I'll tell him to check thanks agian

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
There are a number of causes of ITBS mostly frequently it is linked to overpronation - has he got proper running shoes?

I've also got a bit of medial tibial stress syndrome (shin splints). I'm flat footed, bowleged and knock kneed which predisposes me to all these sorts of conditions - been advised to move up to a motional control shoe. I had a shoe assessment last week and I've ordered some new shoes - my third pair in 9 months.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Thanks for that Edwina his running shoes are called Asics Kayano Gel ones and they were £109 he tried loads of different ones for comfort before buying these.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
They are a very structured shoe. He's probably best sticking to the classic ITB stretch - the one where you stand and cross the leg behind but make sure he pushes his hip out.

He needs to be careful tho as if he does too much too soon the pain gets worse and it can get really really sore. Of course it could be something else - if it continues probably best to get a proper diagnosis.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
There's a very good book called 'Sports Injuries' by Vivian Grisogono, a kind of diagnostic manual which (to quote the blurb) identifies possible causes of pain, helps accurate assessment, covers sudden traumatic and gradual overuse injuries, gives first-aid and immediate self-help measures, a full range of recovery exercises (stretching, strengthening, mobilizing, co-ordinating), with over three hundred drawings, diagrams and photos.
When I first began running this was my sports injuries bible, the first thing I turned to with hamstring, shin splints, ITBS or any other problem that came along - and I seemed to get more than my fair share. I believe it's still in print. No-one is more knowledgable than the author who has served as British team physio for the Olympic Games, World Student Games and Commonwealth Games. Well worth a place on every serious runners bookshelf.
Cheers!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Thanks for the reply guys, He does do the excercise you say, Cooper (05) and I are in hysterics when he does it though lol, but shout words of encouragement too lol.

Running fox, i will tell him about that book, we did look on numerous sites on the net, one of those was an athelete who gave advise, very interesting to read all the things though.

thanks agian

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.