Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do enjoy a nice beer, especially a few pints of real ale or a glass of red Shiraz wine...

But am I making my life harder for running ?

Currently running 3-4 times a week, 4-7K each time.

Eat pretty healthily, but tend to drink almost every evening, some nights 1-2 pints or 1-2 glasses of wine.

What do you drink each night/week/month etc...?

Cheers::confused:

·
Registered
634 Posts
Since taking up running my alcohol consumption has dropped a lot. Like you I used to drink 2 or 3 glasses of wine almost every night, but I found that it made me really lethargic the next day.

It's probably an age thing...:(

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
My first question would be why are you running?

If it is for weight control then you are probably drinking more calories than you are burning. That is what encourages me to drink less.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I run because I like running, keeps me generally fit, would eventually like to do a Half marathon, working towards a 10K at present, love the outdoors, hate gyms...

·
Registered
116 Posts
I currently run twice a week, 8k on both occasions. I have recently thought about my alcohol consumption. I drink 2 or 3 nights a week just the odd glass of wine or on a friday a bit more. I have thought about cutting out drinking during the week and see if it helps with the way I feel on a running night and also if my stamina increases.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is my plan....I think....cut out the booze in the week, but I read somewhere that its better to have one glass a night than all the glasses at the weekend

Looking into the calories a pint is 250, normal glass wine 150.....pint of ribena 200

Hate the taste of water, not really into fruity drinks....hmmm what to drink ?

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Simple answer IMHO is yes.
I drink very little these days...used to drink a reasonable amount but race results were poor. Now a hell of a lot better.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I cut out the alcohol completely when I'm training properly. My social life inevitably suffers a little bit, people don't seem to understand where I'm coming from!

I find that alcohol continues to affect your hydration levels for longer than you'd realise and, as a result, your heart rate seems to climb a little more steadily than it might otherwise. In short, I feel it even if I've only had a couple the night before... I'm sure most other people do too.

I suppose it depends what you're going for... If you want to do well in an event I guess cutting it out makes sense!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
It depends how much you enjoy it and your general priorities in life that decide whether to drink. I run for fitness, but ultimately want to be the best runner I can be - and for me I'd rather sacrifice my drink to run better than enjoy a drink but wonder how much better I could be at running. That's entirely personal preference though!

One glass of wine 7 nights a week is definately better than 7 glasses of wine 1 night a week, but then one glass of wine 1 or 2 nights a a week is far better than every day ;) I rarely drink, but have to admit I do drink a fair bit if I am drinking... *hic*

·
Registered
131 Posts
i tend not to drink at all during the week although that will change once celtic start up in the champions league again. i can't bear that kinda tension without a pint or two.

i quite often go all weekend without a drink as well but then i'll blow all that good work with a wild weekend with the boys. i figure that given that every weekend used to be a wild one, once in a while represents progress.

like Richard said, it depends on your priorities. i'm getting more and more into my running but i still like a party and i guess i always will. its just finding a balance that suits you i suppose.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I am a lightweight too Nat, i get drunk on peoples breath, seriously LOL.

A smirnoff ice makes me light headed, just dislike the taste of Booze altogether. :)

Went Newmarket Friday with work and they was all drinking pints, shots and spirits, i was on the water..... :rolleyes: they kept saying GO ON HAVE A DRINK.. but it just doesnt bother me.

I can enjoy myself regardless.

:)

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
i doubt that cutting out drinking completely will help you running...

reducing the amount may be a good idea...

make sure you don't use a hangover as an excuse not to run...

running is the best hangover cure !!

·
Registered
511 Posts
about 6 months ago I had a mini-epiphany and all of a sudden decided that I was bored with hang-overs and the accompanying waste of time\days recovering so just gave up drinking.

Haven't touched a drop since and don't miss it at all, despite constant temptations and goading. Took up running a couple of months later and not looked back.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Do enjoy a nice beer, especially a few pints of real ale or a glass of red Shiraz wine...

But am I making my life harder for running ?

Currently running 3-4 times a week, 4-7K each time.

Eat pretty healthily, but tend to drink almost every evening, some nights 1-2 pints or 1-2 glasses of wine.

What do you drink each night/week/month etc...?

Cheers::confused:
Well, to balance this up a bit, I'm with you on this Captain!

I drink most evenings and approx half a bottle of Red. I find it helps me to relax at the end of the day and also after a evening run, I feel I deserve it.

Once every four weeks, my work pattern prevents me from drinking in the evening so I tend to go dry that week.

I think that if we are careful enough to look after ourselves by keeping fit and eating properly, the drinking will never be a problem.

<swigs smugly from a long cool cider>

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I'm a light drinker. I enjoy a few drinks with friends, and will have a bit too much once every few months, but I just don't like the feeling of being drunk and I hate the feeling the next day. I never drink alone at home. I could go weeks or months with no alcohol, but I do enjoy it when I go out. But it does affect running. Even if I just have 2 beers on a friday night, my run the next day is affected.

Leece, I think it is terrible that your work colleagues make you feel bad for not drinking. It is so juvenile. Thankfully, my work colleagues and friends don't batter an eyelid if some people are on the soft drinks. I think it is is peer pressure, even amongst adults, that maintains the awful binge drinking culture.

Scr8pe, keep telling youself that it ain't a problem ;) Half a bottle of wine every night is a drink problem and, believe me, your liver isn't enjoying it.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I enjoy a few beers, but don't enjoy being drunk or having hangovers, so generally stop drinking after 3 or 4 beers - although I have been known to over-indulge every so often!

I don't generally every night, as I start feeling low on energy and lethargic. I might drink once or twice a week and I'll only have one or two on a "school night".

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
I seldom drink to excess anymore. After Sundays run I had three bottles of beer and was rather fuzzy round the edges. I think getting drunk on little alcohol is great means a much cheaper night out. I really used to envy a friend who got gutted on three pints when I was drinking many many more on a night in the pub. Those days are long behind me now. Can still hold my own when I need to though, more through some clever tricks than ability to drink lots.

·
Registered
835 Posts
.......................Scr8pe, keep telling youself that it ain't a problem ;) Half a bottle of wine every night is a drink problem and, believe me, your liver isn't enjoying it.
Thank you for your concern!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Leece, I think it is terrible that your work colleagues make you feel bad for not drinking. It is so juvenile. Thankfully, my work colleagues and friends don't batter an eyelid if some people are on the soft drinks. I think it is is peer pressure, even amongst adults, that maintains the awful binge drinking culture. .
They was mortified that i was not drinking, i even made out i had had some previously before they came along so they would not keep hassling me, bearing in mind these work colleagues are all older than me who really should know better..... but the idea of drinking 10 pints and shots and going home feeling sick is not my idea of fun, least i remember the day and evening.

:p:sick:

1 - 20 of 67 Posts