Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was asked to recommend a protein supplement and there is allot of confusion about hem I hope this is of help. Just knocked it up there. I make no apologies for my poor grammar although I’m happy to add anything I have missed.
I know nothing about running...well, I’m learning from here so I thought I would give something back to the forum

Allot of it is focused on Whey protein as this is what most will use and it therefore merits the most attention

What are Protein Supplements

Protein supplements come from a variety of sources such as milk, eggs, soya, Rice and pea’s to name the most popular. They are freeze dried powder products.
The most common of the above is Milk protein, and in particular Whey protein...so I will elaborate on this especially. Whey is a by product of the cheese making process. Milk contains protein, and that protein is 80% casein and 20% whey. When dairies are making cheese, the whey separates and is used from there, much like the runny bit at the bottom of a tub of cottage cheese.
Milk protein, is the entire protein of milk so is therefore 80% casein and 20% whey.
Supplement companies buy their raw whey powder from the dairy’s and then from there make it into their unique supplement and market it to us.

What benefits will I get from Whey Protein

Protein supplements can be use to aid in the recovery process after either intensive exercise, or repeatedly exercising day in-day out. With a weight training program and the correct diet, it can be used to boost protein intake to increase protein synthesis and aid in muscle growth.
During hectic times, it is helpful to ensure that you continue to get a decent quality and quantity of protein n the diet.

Who should use a protein supplement and when?

For Runners who eat a healthy diet containing a variety of fish, poultry, meat, eggs and dairy through the week, and run a few times per week, there is probably no need, unless you feel the added recovery would be of benefit to you. Note that with small amounts of exercise, the recovery difference may be minute and not worth it anyway.
Runners who have a more intensive regime may find that supplementing with whey is a great benefit to their recovery and subsequent performance.
People who do not have a good appetite for good sources of Protein in their diet may find it a convenient way to get to the required intake, which is higher for people who exercise regularly than people who live a sedentary lifestyle.

Is too much protein bad for my health (kidney function?)

There is no evidence to suggest that large quantities of protein in the diet are detrimental to the health of the kidneys unless you already have an existing condition.

Who shouldn’t use Protein Supplements?

People who are lactose intolerant will not be able to use whey protein concentrate or milk protein, although may be ok with whey protein Isolate as almost all the lactose is removed from this variation.
IBS may not go down well with protein supplementation but this will vary depending on the individual.
Vegetarians and vegans should obviously ensure that the product adheres to their particular dietary needs. There are several vegetarian and vegan options available.

Which Brand is best?

Every protein supplement out there is trying to convince you that it is the best. Most of it is just marketing. Large branded companies such as Maximuscle, Met-RX, La Muscle, USN and Muscle-Tech market lots of Products in fancy tubs which all promise great results. Most of these taste very good although they tend to be overpriced and allot of the time contain fillers and bulking agent to beef them out.
There are several good companies in the UK who will provide protein supplements and other supplements for a very fair price. The large brands will try and convince you that there prices are justified and their products superior, when infact they buy from the raw protein powder from the same dairy’s as the branded companies.
Some Branded supplements contain additional ingredients such as vitamins and extra specific amino acids. These tend to be under dosed and therefore not worth the extra money.
For the best value for money, buy from bulk suppliers in unflavoured as you can then adapt the taste to suit yourself. I flavour with strawberry nesquick or Green & blacks organic cocoa powder. They also provide flavoured whey if his is you preference

There’s so many different types of Whey, which should I buy?

If all you want is a supplement for taking after training, then whey protein concentrate is fine for your needs unless you are lactose intolerant then whey protein isolate is more suitable for you. This is more expensive as it needs to be processed to remove the lactose.

There is little benefit to be gained from shelling out lots of money on fancy whey blends.

Good places to buy from

I do not have any business with any particular company, so I will provide a few that I know to be good from personal experience.
www.bulksupplementsdirect.co.uk
These guys are my current supplier and are a great young company. There protein mixes very well, tastes great and has an excellent amino profile as well as being 82% pure. 5kg will cost you around £34....only a few quid more than most branded supplement companies will charge you for 1kg.
If you email sales, they will send you a 50g sample of their whey protein concentrate or milk protein for a quid or two which is handy.

www.myprotein.co.uk
They have a massive range of protein including several vegetarian and vegan options. A good company and their protein tastes good. Some of their flavours are very strong such as raspberry

So, Im recomendng whey protein concentrate as the first choice for most. What can i expect from this supplement

for a runner, improved recovery and a convenient source of protein

for someone looking to build lean muslce mass - Help meet the required protein intake for growth and aid recovery.

For someone looking to maintain lean muscle mass, or increase it while dieting to remove unwanted bodyfat, It can be used to provide a protein only meal at strategic times

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to add. Any supplement is just the "icing on the cake". It should not be used to try and patch up a bad diet.

Eating a good diet is 95% of your health and performance. supplements are only the last little but if you get the rest correct.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Scarbib_jack said:
Is too much protein bad for my health (kidney function?)

There is no evidence to suggest that large quantities of protein in the diet are detrimental to the health of the kidneys unless you already have an existing condition.
It may not be detrimental, but too much is pointless.....you will basically be pissing it up the wall (or shitting it)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much is too much? It is variable.

Some people find that 1g per kg of lean mass is enough, others find a much greater rate of recover and growth with 3g or 4g per kg

Its is also variable on the intensity of your training and how often you train.

Also, If you have a very high intake of protein, you do not "sh*t it out" as people often think. the body converts it to energy, although this is not the most efficient way of getting ot obviously.

Soem of the greatest bodybuilders of all time used a diet that mostly comprised of protein. The legendary Serge Nubret used to eat 2-3 kg of red meat per day at the height of his career.

But....I want to try and keep the thread away from bodybuilding in the most part and have it as a thread for general information, so I wont go any further into it.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Thanks for an informative post. I think that since most of us reading are runners first and foremost it is good to read information based on that assuption.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I find the cheapest site for a cost to serving ratio is probably proteincheapuk.tk it's only something like 35p per serving, some of the mainstream sites are such a rip off. I bought some stuff from monstersupplements.com and I only realise now how much I was actually paying for what I was getting.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Hey, cheers, that was quite intersting.

During my last bout of, what I'd consider, intensive training I found that I was losing weight like a biatch and perhaps my recovery times could have been better, I was on the look out for supplements that provided both protein for recovery and carbs for the extra energy so that I didn't dwindle away to nothing.... however I did find in the end that I hadn't actually changed my "base" diet all that much from when I wasn't running at all, and just by increasing the general amount of protein and the size of my carb portions it worked a treat and my weight stabillised and my recovery times got remarkably better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts