Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did my first 10k race last night and found I run faster in training sessions!!! And there's me thinking everyone runs faster in a race, maybe they do but I didn't.:(

Don't know why I was so crap, was hoping for about 55 mins and got 59. I found it really hard, and not sure why. Felt in a good frame of mind before, warmed up etc. Was just out of puff all the way round. Ran further than 10k loads of times and done ok.

What made it worse my mate was flying in fact she even pulled me along at one point:embarrassed:. I mustn't have pushed myself enough as I could kind of sprint at the finish. Hope I improve as I've another coming up next month.

Anyone else run worse in races or am I weird??

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Everyone has bad runs for no particular reason, and everyone seems to finish a few minutes slower than they were hoping to, in every race; 10k, marathon, whatever.

Just chalk it up to experience, Dimple :) It does mean you can get an easy PB next time :cool:

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Did my first 10k race last night and found I run faster in training sessions!!! And there's me thinking everyone runs faster in a race, maybe they do but I didn't.:(

Don't know why I was so crap, was hoping for about 55 mins and got 59. I found it really hard, and not sure why. Felt in a good frame of mind before, warmed up etc. Was just out of puff all the way round. Ran further than 10k loads of times and done ok.

What made it worse my mate was flying in fact she even pulled me along at one point:embarrassed:. I mustn't have pushed myself enough as I could kind of sprint at the finish. Hope I improve as I've another coming up next month.

Anyone else run worse in races or am I weird??

You are weird,But thats got nothing to do with your running Dimple..........:p

Don`t beat yourself up over the fact that you didn`t run as well as you hoped.

Getting under an hour in your first 10k is an achievment in itself.

It`s true that most people find that they run a bit quicker in race conditions,but being your first maybe you didn`t pace it right.(A problem I still have.)

The big plus is that you have now set yourself a PB that you can be confident of beating next month.

Good Luck and Well Done.

Dave.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Well there are two possible reasons...
1. Your training run is shorter than 10k
2. The race may be slightly longer than 10k

...there is a third...

....that you are weird!!!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Not experienced enough to give you any real advice other than you can't run great ALL the time. Regardless I think you did great :d WELL DONE YOU

Nat

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Pacing can play a major part... also what was the course like compared to your training route? Needless to say if the course was hilly and you've been training on the flat the times are bound to differ.

So many things could've affected your result, so don't beat yourself up! My last race I was well behind my 'secretly hoped' time - but there's just no point in beating yourself up over it. Ultimately you KNOW you can run faster, so you're bound to beat your PB next time ;)

Unless of course Steve is right and your training runs have been short :eek:

·
Registered
634 Posts
Don't worry about it Dimple - it was your first 10K and you finished in under an hour. For what it's worth - I'm impressed.

Are you still doing the Manchester 10k on 6th July? - If so, I think we should be crossing the line in roughly the same time (55 - 60 mins). You'll recognise me by my Northern English accent ;)- and I'll be with my Dad, who's often mistaken for my brother...:embarrassed:

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all!

The course is so much easier than my normal routes (was really flat), so that's no excuse. I know I've ran faster on longer stretches for sure too, again no excuse. I think it was all in my head (my weird one);)

I was near the end and had to laugh as I managed to overtake this bloke who seemed to be struggling. So as I passed him I asked him if it was his first time and he replied no it's his 5th time on this race. So I must have done something right.:)

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't worry about it Dimple - it was your first 10K and you finished in under an hour. For what it's worth - I'm impressed.

Are you still doing the Manchester 10k on 6th July? - If so, I think we should be crossing the line in roughly the same time (55 - 60 mins). You'll recognise me by my Northern English accent ;)- and I'll be with my Dad, who's often mistaken for my brother...:embarrassed:
Why thank you!

I am still doing the Manchester 10k, and after last night will try my bestest.

Your Dad must be good for his age;)

Me too has a northern accent, just look for the 2 blondes my mate is the leggy one and I'm a bit smaller and if I'm smiling you just may see my dimples, but will probably be huffing and puffing with friend pulling me along.:d

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ha ha :p We're all t*ts on ere I reckon

My step dad is a good 'un too, he ran one of his many London's in about 2:50.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I like tits :d

lol, sounds like quite the 'well my dads bigger/better than your dad' discussion :rolleyes: I believe my dad hit 1:18 for a half before going on to do triathalons... he always wished he'd started younger.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts