Runners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’ve been running for two years and I am quite happy with it. I’ve lost 27 kilos can improve my fitness greatly. I’m 57 yo. After I got a Garmin watch and started a 5k running plan, I found that I had been overtraining all my life! (previously I did cycling, martial arts, etc). This is wonderful!. However, I’ve just recently started with Garmin plans, the problem with this plans he starts they offer only running, not hybrid plans including weight training. So i've added weight training workouts myself to the plan, which i am not sure de planes considering.

Any experienced runner out there, is this too much? Here it goes:

Day 1: Easy run 35 minutes

Day 2: Intense running (sprints or goal-pace repeats, or hill repeats…)

Day 3: Rest

Day 4: Long easy run (65 minutes)

Day 5: Weight training (40 minutes)

Day 6: Rest

…and so on…

I wonder if being 57 I should add one more rest day to this week. I feel good, but sometimes I doubt if I may be overtraining again.

I feel good but sometimes, after hard training days I feel some soreness that makes me doubt...

Height 1.87m

Weight: 78Kg

Male

Any opinions much appreciated

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does not seem too much to me. I am 65 years old, I run 6 days a week and do a gym session 6 days a week too
Wow, I'm curious to know how you train that much and not overtrain. Those quads in your picture hint you've been sporting all your life.

I've beaten my 5k record again today, these garmin plans seem fantastic.

Thank you 😊

·
4,423 Posts
I have been running and/or cycling for many years now.
I can tell when I am overtraining by checking my resting heart rate and sleep patterns.
If I am overtraining my resting heart rate will increase slightly and I will find falling asleep takes a while and the quality and duration of my sleep will decline, if either of these occur I take some extra rest.

Well done on the new 5k PB, keep up the good work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have you considered your paces your training at rather then the amount your running. 80/20 is a fantastic basis to build upon
It’s time related not distance
80% of your training time should be done at your easy training pace

great effort on your PB

as an approx guide anything easy should be run around 60-90 secs per KM/Mile slower than your race pace

·
Registered
265 Posts
My question would be: what are your goals? Stay fit? Run a marathon? Depending on your goals you can dial in a plan accordingly.

Personally I find the training of someone like Ed Whitlock interesting. He ran a lot of very easy miles and look what he did. Obviously he was genetically very gifted but there's a lot to be said about just getting out there and running as much as you can very easily depending on how much time you have. Any race pace stuff is icing on the cake.

The easiest way to get injured in sprint training... Most people have the ability to "sprint" if needed, it's aerobic fitness that is usually missing and takes a long time and patience to train.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts