Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a complete novice to running and very naive. I am entering my first race on sunday. I have just received my race pack. Is there a prefered way to attach your race number to your t shirt or do you just use good old safety pins? My race number is like greaseproof paper and i'm not sure if it will last the race if i use safety pins?

Luckily no one on this forum knows what i look like so after reading this you will not be able to point and laugh if you saw me in the street.:d

·
Registered
466 Posts
Safety pins but just be sure that they aren't going to chafe against your skin in the race.

And good luck!

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
usually they are printed on a tougher type paper that doesnt rip easily..
safty pins are usually the weapon of choice, but im looking at trying a number belt as i find that the pins tend to snag and pull the material....put ur number on before you put the shirt on though :)

good luck with your race..

which race have you entered?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your advice. I'm doing the Robin hood half marathon. The course looks ok and quite flat so i think its a good first choice.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Safety pins will be fine johnny.

A half Marathon for your first race.

Impressive..........

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I don't think you'll find anything better than safety pins (though I've never tried a number belt!)... some of the race numbers seem to be a sort of plastic-like paper which seems to tear quite easily once pierced, others seem to a a kind of recycled paper type stuff which is actually pretty touch... some are just thick paper :) either way, as long as you don't put the pins right through the very edge of the number, and leave a bit of paper around the holes (say min 5mm?), you'll be fine :)

Best of luck for the race!

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Don't believe them Johnny... they're all trying to wind you up! Everyone uses double sided tape these days... there's a special type that you can only get from sports shops... if you can't find it just ask, they'll know what you mean

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
hello ed... long time no see, was wondering where you were the other day ;)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Don't believe them Johnny... they're all trying to wind you up! Everyone uses double sided tape these days... there's a special type that you can only get from sports shops... if you can't find it just ask, they'll know what you mean
Do they? First I've heard!

I try to make my number smaller...gets in the way less and makes the areas where the pins go a lot less likely to tear.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Do they? First I've heard!

I try to make my number smaller...gets in the way less and makes the areas where the pins go a lot less likely to tear.
surprised you haven't heard of it either Steve! It's great stuff!

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
also potentially a DQ offence.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Nor me.........

Who`s winding who up here..........

1 - 20 of 29 Posts