Runners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can some of you newbies tell me what your pace is as I am trying to guage if I am really sloooooooow!!!!! getting a bit disheartened:( as I am running about 3.5 miles but only doing it in 35 to 40 minutes (not very accurately)!!!

·
Registered
310 Posts
First of all. No such thing as too slow.

Second. 35mins. for 3.5 miles is quick good for a beginner.

5K is 3.1 miles, check out race times, many people are way over 30mins. A lot of beginners can't even run 3.5 without stopping, so don't feel down you are doing great....

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I run 10k (6.2 miles) in about 57 minutes,thats after 18 months of giving up smoking and running 5 or 6 miles 3/4 times a week.So you don`t have to worry about being too slow.Just be chuffed with yourself every time you make even a small improvment. I do.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Hi Nellie,

Whatever you do don't feel bad about your running times, you are doing fine..give yourself a pat on the back...could you have run 3.5 miles 2 or 3 months ago?...no!....Just keep going, forget about the days when things don't go well...happens to everyone.

As I already know you started at the same time as me, we are pretty similar. I also think I'm slow, but have tried to concentrate on gradually increasing the distance and feeling better about it (apart from the crap days). I managed 5 miles this morning...first time....although slow, but if you had asked me to run that months ago I would have said absolutely no way.

So just keep going, then on 'good days' practice doing a few short bursts of a faster pace, then back to your usual, your speed will gradually increase with improved stamina.

good luck....but keep going, don't stop now you have got this far, think what you have already achieved.

oh dear, have just read this back...I sound like an 'old school teacher'.....I know how you feel though coz on bad days, I am really negative and beat myself up....I have been in a really bad mood all week...but this mornings 'effort' has really cheered me up.

Lyn.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your support, I feel much better...I will take on board what you have all said and just keep going

Lyn, thanks for the good advice I will try a few short sharp bursts of speed and see how I go..i'm heading out in the morning, I have plotted a nice 3 mile route for a Saturday morning so I will keep you posted as to how I get on.

Thanks again everyone

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Don't take your watch with you then you'll not be concerned with time and will just enjoy your run. You'll get quicker the more you run but if you're not entering races that doesn't matter (at this stage at least)....the important thing is that you are out there getting fit and hopefully meeting like minded runners.

Join a local club...you'll find lots of people who run at your pace.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Good luck with the run Nellie, just try and enjoy yourself. My times have improved listening to music...I know it is not always advisable, but as long as you are aware of things around you. I put on some real naff 'get up and go' stuff...mainly 'oldies'...and I run better. Mind you, I did ok today, but, on Wedneday I only did 3 miles ish and it was rubbish!

Keep going

Lyn.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Don't do the same distance all the time. Do one long run, then a shorter quicker run, or do some short sprints - sprint for about 15/20 sec's then walk for 30 sec's - do this 10/15 times.
Keep changing your runs ( distance & speed ), it will make training more interesting and your times over a set distance will improve.

Do some reading-up on training techniques.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Good on ya Nellie!
The journey of a thousand miles starts with the first step.
Some of us are quick, some not so quick. We are all runners and that's the nice thing about our sport.
Good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts