Runners Forum banner

am very new to this

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Rene 
#1 ·
hiya all, is it best to start off running like 60seconds then a few mins walking or to do like 5 mins of slow running through out the day? if i miss a day does it matter?

#2 ·
littlestarter said:
hiya all, is it best to start off running like 60seconds then a few mins walking or to do like 5 mins of slow running through out the day? if i miss a day does it matter?
Welcome to the world of running! As you're just starting out I would try a walk/run technique to build up your endurance. Try running for two minutes and walking for one minute over a mile to begin with. As you build up your endurance you can increase the amount of time you spend running (e.g. 2:30 mins run to 30 seconds walk). Set yourself an aim of eventually running for say 10 mins without stopping. As your fitness increases you can cut out the walking periods and just go for 10, 20 or 30 minute runs.

Best of luck, don't forget to keep us updated with how you're progressing.

F

#5 ·
Have you done a race before? Do you have a training schedule?

If you train correctly I am sure you have enough time to do a half marathon in May (is that sheffield?).

no i havent done a race before. im running on a tredmill cos i dont like to go running in the countryside by myself and i dont know of any clubs round my way or any one to go running with. yeah i have a book from the library dont know if u heard of it before, running made easy, and they have some schedules in there. today i did, about 24mins with one min walking and 2 mins running, do u think thats ok? no this one isnt in sheffield im going to try for. im going to try having massages to try and not have an injury and doing pilates from a dvd on the other days that im not running. do u think thats all ok then?

#6 ·
littlestarter said:
no i havent done a race before. im running on a tredmill cos i dont like to go running in the countryside by myself and i dont know of any clubs round my way or any one to go running with. yeah i have a book from the library dont know if u heard of it before, running made easy, and they have some schedules in there. today i did, about 24mins with one min walking and 2 mins running, do u think thats ok? no this one isnt in sheffield im going to try for. im going to try having massages to try and not have an injury and doing pilates from a dvd on the other days that im not running. do u think thats all ok then?
If you have not done a race before a half marathon will be a challenge but it can be done. Folowing the schedules in the book you have sounds like a sound plan.

Do you have a target time in mind? You will need to be able to run for around 2 hours I would imagine, of course you will be able to walk as well during the race if you need to. Have a look at last years results for the race and see what kinds of times other people were doing... do they look achievable?

It may be a good idea to do a race in March/April time to see how you are progressing. A 6 mile or 10k would be recommended.

#7 ·
A 1/2 marathonm is quite a challenge for your 1st race. To be honest I'd set your sights slightly lower for your first event. The reason I say this is not that I don't think you could manage a 1/2 but more that it's so daunting for a beginner. Taking smaller steps, a 5k then 10k then half gives you bite size targets that you can work towards.
Best of luck

#8 ·
I'm with the Count. Don't force yourself into doing a half straight off. I'd go for a well prepared 5 or 10k first, that'll give you a benchmark time to work on, then you'll see your time diminish the more you get used to racing at that distance. Then, when you're comfortable move to a bigger distance.

This is of course only my opinion. It totally depends on what you want to get from a race, to get round or to get a time.

re: training... I think it's good to go for time actually running, so if you can go 5 mins without walking, do that, then work your way up to say 10 mins... Take it slowly and you will be rewarded.

#9 ·
littlestarter said:
theres a half marathon in May and i havent done very much running at the moment but i if tried, do u think it could be possible? for a half marathon do u have to run all the way?

of course you don't have to run all the way!
i'd aim to run / walk for an hour every other day, keeping at a pace where you are slightly out of breath but can chat comfortably. as you get better, do more running & less walking 'till you can do an hour non-stop, then try to go further or faster!

#10 ·
littlestarter said:
theres a half marathon in May and i havent done very much running at the moment but i if tried, do u think it could be possible?
My first race ever was a half marathon and I did it 5 month after I started running. When I started I could only manage to run 3 min walk for 3, run again then walk. I managed to get round my half in just under 2h.
It can be done but it requires dedication and a good training plan. Personally I hate treadmills and I find it very different from running outdoors. I suggest you get out there and try to follow the good advice in the other posts. And remember to listen to your body as you distance and speed increases.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.