Runners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well in the link I gave it mentions eating more carbs.

I do eat lots already. It's the basis of my diet.
So can't see why I get the sensation.

I am going to try and drink more water and see how I get on.

I must admit I find it hard to drink water.
Not that I don't like it because I do but it seems that quite a while goes by before I think about drinking some.

When i'm at the gym I do drink water however just not at work or at home.
I need to work on this.

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
just read a bit about it and it seems linked to fluid intake and carbs do you eat enough in your diet?

You can reduce the effect by drinking enough fluid ,although like you said it 's nothing to worry about!

Take it easy
cheriton

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you are right. I need to increase my fluid intake.

I'll use the next week to see how I get on.

I'm 194.5lbs.
Any suggestions on fluid amount I should intake?

I assume between 2-3 litres??

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
see from your previous post that you eat a lot of carbs already so sounds like you need to reduce the effect by diluting with fluids
Hope it works keep us posted !
the recommendation is about eight glasses a day

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Yeah, I've experienced this on numerous occasions. It's been nothing more than dried sweat on my face after a long run. I've never even given it a thought until the subject was brought up here. Certainly not worth worrying about.

The subject of water frequently crops up in the media, regarding how much you should be drinking each day. Certain recent reports suggest that the argument has turned full-circle, and that many people drink too much water. It seems that a lot of the recommendations were being made by bottled water companies and other drinks-based organizations who managed to turn a bottle of water into something of a fashion accessory.

If you're having to literally force yourself to drink more, it would seem that you're taking on fluid that you don't really need. Your body should tell you when to drink, and how much.

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
pedestrian said:
Yeah, I've experienced this on numerous occasions. It's been nothing more than dried sweat on my face after a long run. I've never even given it a thought until the subject was brought up here. Certainly not worth worrying about.

The subject of water frequently crops up in the media, regarding how much you should be drinking each day. Certain recent reports suggest that the argument has turned full-circle, and that many people drink too much water. It seems that a lot of the recommendations were being made by bottled water companies and other drinks-based organizations who managed to turn a bottle of water into something of a fashion accessory.

If you're having to literally force yourself to drink more, it would seem that you're taking on fluid that you don't really need. Your body should tell you when to drink, and how much.
I couldn't agree more I seriously struggle to guzzle more than a few pints a day!

morning Mr P

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
another sign if you are de-hydrated is the colour of your wee, it should be light in colour, if it is dark then drink some fluid.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have seen my Doctor this morning.

He reckons my body has used the glucose and is now burning fat.
The smell I am getting is because of the Ketones being utilised in the fat.

I'm sure I remembered that correctly:embarrassed:

I have just cycled about 14 miles to and from the doctors and I have the ammonia smell again.

Maybe in time my body will adjust and the smell will disappear.

Thanks for your comments

·
Registered
707 Posts
Lol, about the fashion comment about water - it was, but hell, now it's fashionable to not drink water. There was an article in this months elle called "why you don't need to drink 8 glasses a day" and in Runners' World last year some time there was a big thing about over-hydration and how it can kill! I'd say, just drink when you think you need to. I've never had the ammonia smell problem, but yeah, if you have a lot of extra pounds to lose, perhaps one day it'll stop once you've lost those extra pounds?

·
Registered
1 Posts
After a hard workout, some runners frequently notice a strong odor that resembles ammonia fumes. It smells exactly like a cleaning solvent but not quite as pungent. For some reason, that smell is most distinctive after a very, long hard run or a race when runners are milling around together.

Could this smell be dangerous? Or is it a warning sign of some underlying problem?

First, this ammonia smell is—in fact—ammonia. Your body produces ammonia everytime you run hard. Whether you smell it or not is a different story, but your body produces it on every long, hard run.

The reason this happens is ammonia is a by-product of protein metabolism. When you run hard and long, your body burns protein and carbohydrates for fuel. When the carbs are burned off (or there isn't adequate carbohydrates), the distinctive ammonia smell presents itself.

The fact that ammonia is produced on every run doesn’t mean the smell is noticeable afterward. Usually the smell is only present when there is the carb deficit. This increase the ammonia levels in your muscles and the ammonia is then picked up by your blood and carried to your respiratory system. When this occurs, you can usually smell it. In addition, some of the ammonia will show up in your sweat which makes the odor even more noticeable.

The smell usually isn’t anything to worry about. But if it persists, you probably aren’t taking in enough carbohydrates. If you emphasize carbohydrates before, during and after running and the ammonia smell is still around, you should get checked out by a physician.

This isn’t dangerous at all. But it is a not-so-subtle warning from your body that it needs more carbs (rather than more protein) to burn on long and hard training runs.

The solution is easy: Eat more carbohydrates to fuel your muscles. Especially if you’re running longer than an hour or two your muscles crave carbohydrates which burn easier than protein. You can also do this by taking in in carbohydrates while running.

Simply drink a cold sportsdrink (which has carbohydrates) every 15-20 minutes while running. If your carbohydrate intake is adequate to fuel your running, the ammonia smell should disappear. Your body will still be producing ammonia, but you probably won’t be able to smell it. [/COLOR][/COLOR][/I]

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have seen my Doctor this morning.

He reckons my body has used the glucose and is now burning fat.
The smell I am getting is because of the Ketones being utilised in the fat.

I'm sure I remembered that correctly:embarrassed:

I have just cycled about 14 miles to and from the doctors and I have the ammonia smell again.

Maybe in time my body will adjust and the smell will disappear.

Thanks for your comments
I thought the smell from ketosis would be a lot sweeter/more pleasant than ammonia. as mentioned above, ammonia comes from using amino acids/proteins/muscles as an energy source. As you say from your doc, ketosis comes from using fats, when your glucose store is expended. It is often seen when people have been fasting....

·
Registered
360 Posts
I occasionally get this smell too. I've always wondered what it was down to but was never bothered enough to find out. Nice to know though. I find it's only on the more aggressive workouts I do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts